How big a load of steel BB's can you get in a 3.5" 12ga shell?

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by jmden, Jan 19, 2010.

1. jmden

jmden Well-Known Member

How big a load of steel BB's or BBB's can you get in a 3.5" 12ga shell when doing your own loading?

I'm thinking of getting into shotshell reloading but, but one emphasis would be being able to pack more shot into the shell than what is in factory loads.

I have yet to get a steel reloading book from Ballistic Products. I know there's several 1.5 oz bb and BBB loads on the market, and I understand the Kent Fasteel makes a 1 9/16oz. load.

Is it possible to fit 1 5/8 oz. steel BB or BBB load in a 3.5" shell?

Jon

2. 338 LEGEND

338 LEGEND Well-Known Member

Im looking for the same info, would like to reload remingtons 1 9/16 OZ steel loads. having truoble finding any info on that payload.

3. bsc4444

bsc4444 Member

Fiocci make a fast 1 9/16 that some of the guys I hunt with....they like it.

4. jflester

jflester Well-Known Member

You can go to the Alliant Powder internet site and download their latest reload amanuall. It contains lots of data for reloading shotshells, including capacity of shot.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  5. 338 LEGEND

338 LEGEND Well-Known Member

Thanks, The trouble im having is that I dont think they make a bushing to drop 1 9/16 OZ load of steel. Every thing I see only goes to 1 1/2 OZ.

6. jflester

jflester Well-Known Member

I've busted alot of canada geese and ducks with 1.5 oz of No 2 using 43 gr of blue dot.
    Ive never needed anything bigger then #2s. Usually #4s for ducks and that was 3 in. shells. I guess ducks and geese have gotten toughter over the years.

Good luck in finding what you need, I use a 600jr Mec with the univeral charge bar, so I don't really know alot about the bushings. I just found that I could do whatever I needed with the universal charge bar. Works great for me.