How are the QRW mounts??

fourinone

Hi; I just ordered base from Near Manufacturing and trying to use the lowest setting ring mount of good quality I can find. This brings me to the Leupold QRW 30mm in low. This is only .730 from bottom to center of ring. I've read about some problems with these when they first came out and wonder what to look for, or ask for to be sure I get the latest production of these from a supplier. If there are any good reason not to use this style please let me know or if there are better choices please let me know also. I'm using a Sako 75 III with stock sporter barrel with Nikon Tac. 2.5x10 x 44mm and would like to keep the scope low as possible. I have not received the "Near" base yet so I won't know until I receive it if I really need to go with this low of a mount..?? Thanks

I have 2 sets of the QRW rings on heavy varmint rigs with 20moa Nightforce bases. I have not experienced any problems and find them to be of high quality for the moderate price they cost.

Just my 2 cents.

Well I do like the price, I'm thinking about maybe 2 sets, if I don't get talked into something else. I can use one of the sets for a higher power one inch tube scope for ammo testing. Thanks for letting me know how well you like yours.

I've got as et of them on my wife's 7mm STW with a sporter weight barrel and a Sendero stock with a Night Force NXS 56mm obj bell and they havent shown any problems. Maybe the stw isnt considered a magnum like the 300 winmag, 300 ultra series or larger?
Dave

[ QUOTE ]
They work great if you DONT over tighten the bolt that rests in the cross slot of the base and if you dont use them on a heavy magnum. Other than those 2 things, they work great. They are one of my favorites.

[/ QUOTE ]

They have a horrible reputation in the 50 community - breaking when mounted to a lighter 50 mounting a 32 to 36 oz NF scope.

I just submitted a review of the Burris Xtreme Tactical 30mm Rings rings to appear in the next issue of VHP
At less than $40/pair - they are by far my favorite rings.
tacticalrings1.gif

Thanks for the advise, I did see the New Burris X-Tact. rings and think they are very hard to beat when considering price. I'm thinking that their lowest one may still be higher than I really want. If their low one turns out to be the right height...Count me in. Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts