How accurate is EXBAL?

KQguy

I have one on order,I was wondering if anyone here has ever compared the numbers it calculated compared to actuall field testing to see how close it is. I just want to know what to expect before I start using it.

I have one on order,I was wondering if anyone here has ever compared the numbers it calculated compared to actuall field testing to see how close it is. I just want to know what to expect before I start using it.

Mine has been spot on for field comparisons. Where BC's were unknown, but guessed still got me on target from 200 yd sight-in to 600 yards on first shot.

published BC's are a starting point, so one cannot expect exact numbers when going from published BC's to field shooting, but to date Exbal hasn't let me down.

One time I thought it was off, but after checking, the scope company had put the wrong reticle in the optic:eek:
BTW the comapany replaced the wrong reticle with the correct one.

In my circle of shooters - we have found it to be very accurate out to about 700yds, then for whatever reason, we have to add clicks. It may be that we don't have all the exact info, ie ---- we are using dropcharts not a pda, so our humidity may be off, the chrono may not be 100% accurate, the reported BC may be off, temperature may have changed. Exbal does get us close, and then we just develop drop charts based on what field conditiions show us to be true. If you have a pda and a kestrel or similar weather device, you may have better success than us on longer range --- at any rate, I am very glad I have Exbal.

It's only going to be as accurate as the information you pit in.

The old saying, "trash in trash out" is very true. If you enter bad information you will get bad information back.

Mike Alford

Exbal works great if you input accurate information. Have used it for years and it works otherwise I would have pitched it.

Normally the biggest thing holding back Exbal in my experience is accurate input data, as already mentioned. Out to 600yds or so, you can put in the rough altitude and temperature, and be within a click or two of center. Beyond that, I used to get progressively more off the further back I went. Turned out that accurate temperature, and accurate barometric pressure were necessary to get the output from Exbal to accurately get me on target. A kestrel personal weather meter pretty much fixed that - leave the altitude in Exbal set to zero, and enter the raw station pressure and uncheck 'Corrected Pressure'. Should be golden from there.

Normally the biggest thing holding back Exbal in my experience is accurate input data, as already mentioned. Out to 600yds or so, you can put in the rough altitude and temperature, and be within a click or two of center. Beyond that, I used to get progressively more off the further back I went. Turned out that accurate temperature, and accurate barometric pressure were necessary to get the output from Exbal to accurately get me on target. A kestrel personal weather meter pretty much fixed that - leave the altitude in Exbal set to zero, and enter the raw station pressure and uncheck 'Corrected Pressure'. Should be golden from there.

That is the same way I use it now also.

i dont think that you can find a better one on the market. just make sure you have the other tools that can makes sure you input the right info...

I'd echo what others are saying regarding Exbal and proper input info. I don't have the extensive experience others here do, but when I input temp and wind from the Kestral and station pressure from my watch, Exbal has been virtually spot on to over 1K using the 240SMK and the 240SMK ballistic info built in to the program. Good luck.

I'd echo what others are saying regarding Exbal and proper input info. I don't have the extensive experience others here do, but when I input temp and wind from the Kestral and station pressure from my watch, Exbal has been virtually spot on to over 1K using the 240SMK and the 240SMK ballistic info built in to the program. Good luck.
thanks for the input,that is the same bullet I will be shooting.

Just remember that every barrel treats a bullet differently, and therefore the BC for the same bullet will vary from barrel to barrel, sometimes such a small amount you wont notice it, othertimes a particular barrel will significant affect "how the bullet goes to sleep" and can have a significant affect on the bullets actual BC for some or all of the bullets flight.
You must confirm your actual BC either by shooting in known conditions (air density - pressure, temperature, humidity, this last is the least important) out to the longest range you're planning on shooting to, or by shooting across Oehlers acoustic targets out to your max range, or doppler radar. Not all of us have these last 2, so comparing shot drops and tweaking the program's BC to match works fine. Just be aware you need to calibrate your scopes actual adjustments (few are exactly what they say they are) and also you really need to do it in dead still conditions to make sure you aren't confusing any vertical wind effect as more or less drop and therefore a different BC.
If you don't calibrate your scope your drop chart will still work fine for your gun and load, its just your BC may not be what you think it is.
Hope this makes sense, this is a huge topic that really needs more discussion.
Greg

Milanuk
Thanks for the info --- have always used calculated pressure -- sounds like I need to get me a kestrel to fully utilize the benefits of exbal.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts