Horses As I See Them By Ian McMurchy

Ridgerunner...I think I now see where you got you name, horseback on Lightening.Around here they say your only allowed one superb horse in a lifetime, some mystic reason or something.what were those parks people expecting? To catch up with a good mounted rider on a silly atv? I watch farmers (not Ranchers) attempting to herd cows with these things too, even the cows knows it's sacrelige.My prefered mount is a mare these days, race bred and does everything quick, walk, trot and belly down going. This mare is very observent too, when I ride into a basin she scans it looking upwards often spotting game before I do.We don't see many gaited types around here, there either pack or rodeo stock.Kinda like what you see in broz' pic or a heading Quarter horse type.

Around here they say your only allowed one superb horse in a lifetime, some mystic reason or something.

Chris Ledoux , "Riding Fences"

"He's had one or two good horses that he counts among his friends, He never drew a breath that wasn't free"

Last edited by a moderator:
Well since we are talking about that "one horse". This is mine. Hasn't sent me to x-ray yet. Last one did twice in 6 months. :D Knows his way around mountain, ropes, drags, heads, heals, cuts, pretty cowy horse. Goes where I ask and crosses anything, no spook, fairly smooth ride. I call him Gus.

Tied to our front porch:

DSCF0708_zps4dde73d4.jpg

I'm gonna share another one later...this one is about a Walking Horse that was brought to me as a problem child, he was a show horse...sent the previous 5 trainers to the hospital, left a later one in a wheelchair and another with a serious limp (nearly twisted his leg off at the knee)...he was a very nervous horse, not really mean, but it didn't take much to send him into a panic.

Broz, is that a lazy J 0 brand on Gus? If that is what it is maybe Gus is Canadian .That is a registered brand here, maybe registered there too who knows.Just wondering.It belonged to a rancher here who was old school, nearly illiterate but brilliant,an outfitter, and the best horseman in this area.(in my opinion).he is gone now and was a good friend.That is why I ask.Yup, Gus looks like a cowhorse..happy for you.

Tom, his freeze brand did not come completely through. It is E O , the initials of the previous owner and a registered Montana brand.

Thanks
Jeff

Little story of my own , I bought a 8 year old quarter horse stallion once, completley green, no manners and was just turned out with the mares.Jet deck breeding (jet deck on his papers).Well, he bent and broke the fence panels in his enclosure, so after repairs daily I would work with him.Just keeping his attention with mares nearby was a trial , but I stuck to my plan.slow and easy, but rigid.If you wanted a fight, he would.I chose not to.You know he eventually softened , still never turned my back on him.Eventually, he turned into an saddle horse, what I liked most is the intelligence and bravery of him.For a couple years used him hunting, he travelled like he owned the mountain, stand tied for hours by himself when I was a foot..often returning many hours later..he seemed unbothered by man or beast.Eventually , I altered him, had enough colts and now a neighbor has him, a lady.

It has been almost 6 months since I returned from a spring bear hunt in WY. that gave me a hole new perspective on hunting from horse back . A few things first , (1) my comments are not intended to cast a bad light on the outfitter, (2)my comments are intended to offer insight as to what you may possibly be in for on a horse back hunt especially if you if you have limited or no riding experience .
A back country pack in type hunt is what I had been wanting to experience since a early age after reading about such adventures in field and stream magazine. After reaching the age of 44 and making several high country elk hunts I booked a Spring bear hunt that was supposed to be spot and stalk / bait in the evening type where we were to travel buy horseback . In the information about the hunt that you receive it recommends that you should get some riding experience just prior to the trip to adjust your body to riding a horse So I did. Where this turns south is that you are not instructed to ride 3-4 hrs. a day a couple times a week. Once I arrived at the at the camp did the greeting thing and took immediate notice of these horses and mules . Large is an understatement , most being draft horse cross. I have always herd that a mule is more sure footed and indeed I believe that they are , so I requested a mule if possible and they were glad to saddle up Big Bonny, a 17 hand red mare. Mules are more surefooted because they are smart , too **** smart !!! So the morning arrives and I mount up after walking the animal down in a hole so I can reach the stirrup and off we go . I look at my watch and take note of the time . The scenery was amazing ! but after a hour this thing is starting to really uncomfortable, but what the heck we are probably almost there . An hour later we are still heading up a mountain , legs and hips burning . We arrive at our glassing position so I take a couple ibu to help . a few hrs. later back in the saddle and on to our bait sight (another hour). After a evening hunt seeing lots of wildlife it was back in the saddle and after a few minutes in to the ride pain sets in and an free thinking not helping . The guide goes left and my mule wants to go right , decides to stop and eat a few seconds then break in to a gallop all in pitch black . We arrive in camp just after midnight where I devoured a great meal downed some pills and off to bed .
Day 2 , one of our party kills a bear the evening before and heads back to retrieve it and we asked if we would like to go see , I asked how far out of the way and a hour is more riding than I can stand . So off we go and 2 hours later we are at the bait sight . First order of business is take a half dozen pain pills and settle in for an evening of hunting and lo and behold at last light a bear appears and while trying to size him up pain is a unwanted factor in weather I should take it .
Now I am thinking this could be the last torture ride if I kill the bear, so I go for it. Right over the back my bullet lands . After looking a bit we head back , about halfway back my mule decides it does not want to wade water and takes to the bank with low hanging limbs and for the first time I was wishing I had a baseball bat to adjust this SOB's attitude . My cursing went from mumbling to profanity riddled commands . My guide decides I have had enough of Bonny and swaps out the saddles the pack horse . We arrive about 1:30am eat supper limp in to bead .
Day 3 Eat more pills with breakfast head out on the horse , Arrive at a point about a half mile from the bait decide to catch some shuteye . About 3 hrs later I am not sure I can get on the horse after I awake . With some help from my guide I manage to saddle up . Arrived at bait took more pills saw lots of wildlife but no bear . Saddled up and ground our way back to camp arriver about midnight ate supper and the outfitter informed me I needed to step it up and go at it harder if I wanted to kill a bear.
Day 4 , I decide that a horse is out of the question and inform the outfitter that if there is no other options I am done.
Reflections , I have a lot of respect for the work that the outfitter did to get me a bear . I rode more in 3 day than I did in my previous 44 years and that in lies the problem . I wish somebody would have told me I would have been crippled after the first day of ridding a horse especially one of that size. If I had known just torturous riding a horse 6 hrs. a day was I would have left that 4 grand in my 401.
Recommendations; Any body coming from a non equestrian background that is considering a horseback hunt is to spend as much time on a horse as possible at least 4 months ahead of time . I do not mean riding around in a arena or catch pin . Get out on a horse with somebody knowledgeable and get to where you can ride at least 3 hrs. nonstop in varied terrain. I can not emphasize this enough. The outfitter told me he was going to take me out of my comfort zone and boy was he right .
At present I am considering purchasing a horse just to condition my self to try this type of hunt in the future .
In closing Horse are a great thing to get you way back in but if you are not a regular rider and in marginal physical condition you may be better off on foot.
I promise you the 22 hr. ride home was not pleasant. I encourage anybody to go on a hunt like I did but do your self a favor and get saddle broke.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.