Horses As I See Them By Ian McMurchy

Great to see activity on this thread...I agree with your comments, eventually you will be hurt and normally it is not an act of aggression. .perhaps fear.Our lives, here circulate around our stock and many could not imagine going out and not hearing a nicker.Hey Wildrose, do you have others that can walk with old Louie? Cheers
Louie isn't the prettiest, fastest, or smoothest horse I have or have had but I can and have put kids on him who didn't know which end of the horse to face ride him alone at field trials all day and never worried a second. At the same time I can get on him, give him his head and run an all age dog down at a full run and never once worry about anything but keeping my eyes on the dog.

Since you got me telling horse stories... .

I have another big sorrel that looks like him minus the flax mane and tail.

I was at a trial a few years back and a friend's young son (about 10) who had been riding Louie at trials there for several years (only horse he'd ever ridden) asked if it would be ok to use him to plant birds and to take his little brother and sister along who were four and two. I said sure, if he was there and saddled they were welcome to him.

Hank however while being a great horse in many ways is always like riding a box of dynamite. He will spook at the damnedest things and when he does, he can do some pretty amazing athletic stunts.

I looked up in horror about the middle of the third brace after lunch to see him with BOTH his brother and sister just trotting along having a big time. I rode over as calmly as I could and asked him how it was going and he said fine, they'd been planting all day over on the other course while I was first judging and then in a later stake running dogs. I'd been gone all day and skipped lunch so I had no clue They'd taken off on Hank.

We stopped and I suggested them getting down and giving "Louie" a break. Only after they'd all dismounted and had a seat while I walked the boys off for some water and grass did I tell him of his error.

Scariest thing I'd had happen in many years. Hank just a week prior had gotten spooked when we busted through some very high grass into a herd of heifers that thought we were a grizzly bear. They blew snot and lit out in 300 different directions and Hank proved to me that a horse could jump as far straight backwards as they can forwards and then run more than 200yds straight back as well without taking his eyes off of even one of those heifers!

I knew it was going to end badly and that there wasn't a damned thing I could do to prevent what was coming so I kicked out of the stirrups and dug in with the knees.

Sure enough he decided to swap ends eventually and when he did we had a major crash. I just stepped off as he was hitting the ground and when he stopped stomped his eyeballs out with one foot while standing on his neck with the other.

I then led him up to where the heifers were so he could smell them at which time his ears relaxed and he quit snorting and blowing because he was finally convinced it wasn't the world's largest herd of horse killing grizzly bears and he settle right down.

We've had similar incidents over rattlesnakes and even a white garbage bag blowing across a pasture in a high wind.

The funniest one we ever had though was riding up out of the bottom of a steep canyon and him seeing the county rural water co op water tower he'd seen every day for most of his life at a distance but different time, different place, and a windy day turned it into a giant horse eating monster worthy of two hundred yards of some pretty impressive bucking.

One thing about Hank, riding him is never boring. He is however incredibly gentle and playful with dogs.

Scroll down the Page Here, Hank is the horse standing in the first horse shot, center page. He was about four here. He's now 16.3H and around 1450lbs. Half Walker/Half Trotter.

That's Louie a couple of rows down with me riding in carrying a dog and Hank coming over to have lunch with the puppies below that one.

Keep scrolling down and you see him (Hank) laying down playing with a puppy who in one shot is pulling on his nose and in another attacking his ankle!

My horses were raised with dogs from day one and actually seem to think that they are just big dogs that I ride.

Other than the buggering problem, He's pretty nice. He has a 14mph fast walk that is smooth as glass and he's just tough as nails.

I judged off of him for four straight days on the Empire Ranch in Southern AZ a couple of years ago while most of the handlers and even gallery folks were having to switch horses at least twice a day and he's as sure footed and smart as a mule in bad country.

You just have to know him and be able to read him to know when the monsters are about to get him.

Love it..so you are judging the shorthairs from horse . We too have stories.I ride a lot ,and we do have lots of large game, including Grizzly bears, right here at home I gotta say though nothing disturbs these ponies quite like a bull moose, romantically inclined and unconcerned about either that your sitting a gelding or the strange appendage astride him a.Love is blind I guess . The last time this happened ,Bully moose came in with spruce boughs piled high in his antlers.I chambered a round thinking I would put one through a paddle to stop this nonsense.I didn't fire but we retreated high tempo, to keep the geldings integrity intact. :)

Been piled up, dumped off, left stranded. Missed great shot opportunities and other miserable happenings due to my choice of horse flesh....

I've never been more comfortable astride than I am now. Except when something needs done "right now"....:rolleyes:

Attachments

• Jethro.jpg
    Jethro.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 83
Love it..so you are judging the shorthairs from horse . We too have stories.I ride a lot ,and we do have lots of large game, including Grizzly bears, right here at home I gotta say though nothing disturbs these ponies quite like a bull moose, romantically inclined and unconcerned about either that your sitting a gelding or the strange appendage astride him a.Love is blind I guess . The last time this happened ,Bully moose came in with spruce boughs piled high in his antlers.I chambered a round thinking I would put one through a paddle to stop this nonsense.I didn't fire but we retreated high tempo, to keep the geldings integrity intact. :)
You can tell if someone is a real horseman with years of experience. Those that do have hours and hours worth of these stories to tell HA!

Yes we judge all pointing breeds horseback. This was actually a Brittany Championship I was judging in AZ. Some very nice dogs and really fine people.

The Antelope we kept running into on the course made for some interesting braces to judge too HA! There's one of those dogs that I think is still trying to catch the same buck he was after the last time we saw him.

Seriously though it has me planning a hunting trip or two to the same area. Some amazing mulies and pronghorn in the same area.

Lots of stories for sure and most horse folks are cow and dog aficionados too around here.Some(including me) like their long eared cousins and I am proud to say I know a few mule skinners.Hell, I was talked into entering a ranch rodeo, the only hitch... gotta be off a mule, in team roping, usually you needed to drop 3 coils to make the reach and dally by the knot, hardly classic, but a few of use got it done.It was a riot.a mule was in every timed event.

Lots of stories for sure and most horse folks are cow and dog aficionados too around here.Some(including me) like their long eared cousins and I am proud to say I know a few mule skinners.Hell, I was talked into entering a ranch rodeo, the only hitch... gotta be off a mule, in team roping, usually you needed to drop 3 coils to make the reach and dally by the knot, hardly classic, but a few of use got it done.It was a riot.a mule was in every timed event.
Yep, I have a few mule stories as well. If you've ever seen the pictures of the mule killing a mountain line you can imagine a 12yo boy getting almost the same treatment from one!

Hico Texas I think still has a Mule Festival/Show. Some amazing animals have performed there over the years.

Some of my FT friends have gotten into gaited mules as well. They are rare but when you find a good one you have an amazing animal that can carry you smoothly for days or weeks on end.

Doc still wants me to keep my own two feet on the ground through the end of the year and I'm going to listen to him but I'm really looking forward to getting back on a horse as soon as I can.

Louie needs the work LOL.

Hope you heal, Wildrose,not riding is tough for some of us, and keeping with the mule theme , I would like to go to mule days in Bishop, California..all disiplines I believe.Imagine the Song! We don't see alot here in Canada most use draft cross types in the mountains , round backed.We use more sawbuck saddles to with a full britchen.and we top pack..up to about 200 lbs, tops.I have obseved more mule packtrains, more deckers and not many top packs south of here.Not to many fancy walking mules or horses either, I guess you would need all or none in that case.A gaited packtrain would sure move freight though! Cheers.

Enjoying the read guys. I may have posted this before but thought it might fit in here. One of my favorite pics of some great mountain land and good friends.

Jeff

012-09-02_16-46-04_697_zps8456839c.jpg

They have Mule Days in CA? Wow...didn't know that.

I've been to the one in TN several times.

Mule/horse tales and wrecks...I could write a book, lol...wiped out on a lil mustang/app mare I used to have at full speed (upwards of 45 mph, very fast lil horse)...she slipped on her right front foot taking a mild turn, stumbled, almost fell but didn't...dumped me over to the inside and sorta over her shoulder (I was a little intoxicated)....she jumped over me to keep from stepping on me (she was the very best "horse" I ever had)...all that hitting the ground and rolling and flipping...and when it was over I still had my beer in my hand!

But it was mostly empty by then, lol...I wasn't hurt.....that happened on a weekend wagon train, just a bunch of friends riding and having a good ole time.

I miss that horse, she died giving birth in 2006...the foal lived, I still have her...she's OK, but she's not 1/2 the horse her mother was.

Another one on that horse...me and those same friends were riding in Bays Mountain Park...not supposed to be in there with horses, but we came in from the back side of the mountain, no fences there...ate dinner at the fire tower, was just finishing up when the park service people showed up on 4 wheelers, lol...they didn't catch any of us, we scattered...I headed back east about a mile and went down the bluff, full steam ahead...much like the scene from Snowy River...nobody followed me, lol...got down the mountain, followed the valleys back around to Blairs Gap road...and rode on home...about 12 miles, didn't take long to get there either.

Not just any ole horse could or would do that...mule either for that matter.

For the record...we weren't running blind, we both knew exactly where we were, where we were going, and how to get there.

That lil horse was amazing...only about 14 hands, maybe 900 lbs...but solid as a rock, very well cut, oh so very fast...and she could, and would, run all day (with a few rest stops)....she never questioned a que, if you didn't want her to do something...don't ask her to....because she wouldn't hesitate.

Gonna see if my wife will text me a pic...I'll add it later.

Last edited:
Mule story...

This was Henry when he was young, may have been on that East Fork trip pictured above...1st day there, nice cool morning (you know what that does to a stall kept equine of any flavor), we had just started out, maybe 5 minutes into the ride...Henry lit off into a bucking fit that seemed like it lasted 5 minutes, out of nowhere and for no reason....he bucked for all he was worth until he managed to get me out of the saddle and up around his neck, then just as suddenly as he started...he stopped, calm and cool as he could be...I still say he was just feeling lively in the cool morning air.

Hard to stay in the saddle with a mule sometimes...they can get that back end way up there...when they want to, lol...and the raw power they can put into it is amazing.

These are pictures of pictures...so the quality isn't great...she was almost an albino, 90% of her skin was pink, the rest was black...all her hair was pure white...her eyes were very dark though, not any pink at all...striped feet....her name was Pebbles, but most everybody called her White Lightening...she truly loved to run, she'd pin them ears back and give it everything she had...my Dad driving alongside us, clocked her at 52 mph for almost 1/2 mile...1 click of the tongue she'd just ease out walking, 2 clicks she'd move off at a trot, 3 clicks...you dang well better have your weight forward and good grip...or she'd launch right out from under you, you didn't have to whip or spur her, she wanted to run....hold her at a steady run, about 1/2 - 3/4 throttle...and she could cover several miles pretty darn quick....sure footed as a mule on the trails too...patient, careful, and alert...always listening to me, even from 1/2 mile away, if she could hear me she'd do what I asked....a little horse, with the heart of a giant...I've owned a couple dozen, and trained hundreds (made my living training for almost 15 years)...and I've never known another horse like her, not even one....run like the wind, swim like a fish, climb like a mountain goat...and so eager to please, almost like a dog.

This is the foal she died giving birth to...born black, matured into a beautiful grey, but this is the only pic I have of her.

Last edited:
Gaited mules...

I know a guy that has one that can hold its gait (rack) at about 25 mph..smooth as silk....and no, she's not pacing or trotting....she's been filmed in slow motion to prove it...she's in a single foot gait the whole time.

I've never hunted out west on horseback (or any other way) yet...but the guy that owns her goes to CO every year elk hunting, he doesn't use her for hunting though...she's quite valuable in the show ring.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts