Horses As I See Them By Ian McMurchy

This is a thread for discussion of the article, Horses As I See Them By Ian McMurchy. i am a horseman that uses horses to hunt and i bet i get at least one story like this from the greenhorn bushwackers that think that hunting is easy and fun the truth is that hunting is hard work and we do it because we love it and the horses that i use love it to (as long as you leave them in camp with plenty of hay)and we have great names for them to foxy (hellbitch), or Ramsieys (puss in boots) and Misty (migrane) the names that we use for friends are not in parithesies the names that we use after the trip are. but there all gentle and i let my kids ride them but my kids are probably better friders than most of my friends. i also have a welsh pony named danny that is a pain to steer and likes to be in charge but you can shoot off of him and he can pack out just about as much as any full size horse.

It has been a while since I last read the arcticle. The truth of the matter is that Ian now has the pick of the best horses that ever lived! I did not know him personally, but would bet my best shooting iron that "this" opinion has not changed. Every horse lover/hater needs to rethink about this, you can have your best horse out to pasture with some ol' foundered 1 eyed nag, and your good horse will always be the one to turn up hurt. How many times do these **** animals "the good one" ruin your day.........99.9 percent of the time it is our fault , but hey can not call B.S. on you, so they do make a good fall guy. Let's just say you are out horn hunting on your good horse, when a helluva horse race starts up for that nice set of bones across the river. It just so turns out you are on your horse that swims like a fish, but he decides he is going to walk across the bottom this time. Oh the stories I have lived and heard. Ian and his legacy lives on through the words of wisdom he enchants us or haunts us with.

Not trying to knock Ian and knowing a lot of his article was meant to be tongue in cheek, but having been raised around horses most of my life I will say that nobody in their right mind should go on a pack trip if they are not experienced on and around horses. That's how wrecks happen and people and horses get hurt.
Would you expect to climb into a semi truck and just take off with no lessons? Or jump into a jet and try to fly without even going to ground school? I think not. Well, it's the same with horses. It's a sure recipe for disaster.
However Ian did make some good suggestions at the end of the article. First off, Horseback riding is a sport and like any other sport you need to get yourself in shape for that sport. Also, find a trainer and a place to practice, and a lot of it. Otherwise you will hurt where you never thought you had muscles that could get that sore! Believe me, even I get sore if I lay off for too long and then try to go on a really long ride. Five to seven hours in the saddle can really make you hate life at the end of the day if you are not in shape for it.
Horses are the only way to get into some places that are not accessible by any other means. They are beautiful animals and great to have around. They each have their own personalities. So do yourself and the horses a favor. Take the time to learn your way around them before going on any hunts with them.
Thanks

I too have been raised around horses but I never took a liking to them the way my father did. I have no fear of them and actually enjoy them until I have to get on one. For me I figure it is the battle of wills thing...I'm just not into it when I'm in the outdoors. I want to relax and soak it all in while traveling but that's me (a horse person would probably say the same thing from their perspective eh?). The unpredictable nature of anything that has a mind of it's own is exemplified in horses for me. That is also the very thing my father likes best about horses...so go figure. I've watched a 17hand horse with my Dad in the saddle lie down and roll right over the top of him and he popped up in the saddle laughing his you know what off. I don't get it:rolleyes: I've been the attempted object to be scraped off of a saddle on numerous occasions and while it never prompted panic or fear it was the cause of one of my famous sayings that I say to myself when things are about to get really interesting "Here we go.." This phrase has run through my head during motorcycle crashes, car crashes, and one unfortunate parachute drop...and it always makes me think of riding horses! :D For me they are simply a tool to be used as a last resort, for Dad a passion as others have stated. I guess you either are or are not a horseman (person). I am not and am sorry I didn't get a chance to have the discussion with Ian who I've never met but feel we would have bonded on this particular topic.

Ian was entertaining as well as informative will be sorely missed. I need a horse(too old) for
hunting the high country. Still I'm not signing on as bronk buster for some kboy that rents horses
for a living ....

I will look for more writing by Ian. I wish I'd discovered him while he was still alive.

My wife and I currently own three horses. Two Icelandic horses and a quarter horse. I've never hunted with them. I'm 67, been riding since I was 10, almost can't remember when I didn't know how to ride. There are a couple of things that can simplify your time dealing with horses:

First, the key to understanding a horse is to realize it is a prey species. A horse thinks of itself as something else's lunch. If you think about it, with out going into detail, this explains a lot of the behavior of a horse and how it has developed.

Second, as big and strong as a horse is, we can only do with them what they allow us to do. If they weren't as willing as they are, they'd just kill you and walk away peacefully. Ian was right, they are big and well equipped for taking on a human. Fortuantely for us, they are some of the most cooperative, willing, animals around.

Third, a horse is always being trained. There is never a time you are with a horse that it isn't cataloging what you are doing and storing that data. That is in effect training. Horses don't only listen when you think you are training them, they are always listening, and remembering.

Finally, a good horse is never a bad color.

Fitch

This is my first post, when it comes to horses and old cowboys they have been at the top of my list all my life. I've been riding since before I was born. Got my first 1/2 a horse when I was around 5, my brother was 4, he got the other half. Our family has owned and operated a horseback riding stable since 1962 in the Texas panhandle, next to Palo Duro Canyon State Park. Horses have been my best friends most of my life, I trained them after school and weekends to buy a 69 z-28 Camaro. I've listened to cowboy stories all my life, and believe that's where most of the common sense is, in this world. Dad is going to be 80 next week and still rides. He called me a few years back, and sounded really sad. He told me that he couldn't get on Prince ( then a 3 year old Arab Stud ) and didn't know what to do. We decided to pray about it. Well, Dad called a couple hours later and said you've got to come see this. When I got to the stables he had moved a hitching rail out about 2 1/2 feet, from a board walk in front of the saddle room. The board walk is about 3" below his stirrup, he just stepped on, and that smile was priceless. We road down into our canyon and stopped at a camp site to rest a minute. Dad looked at me with that same grin and said, when I'm on Prince I'm as fast as I was at 32. GOD is so Good!!!

Coming from a man that has owned and trained horses all of his life, I really loved the article. I have seen so many people scared by even my favorite little mare who is a total puppy dog. Every time the horse sneezes or flicks its ear they jump out of the saddle.

Horses attitudes are a mirror of your soul. If you are strong and at peace, your horse will become that also. My first time alone on a horse at 7 years old started off at a gallop and I never slowed down since.

Being a horseman isn't for everyone. And lots of "horse" people shouldn't be around them at all.

Great article, Im no horse person by any stretch, but ive been around quite a few of them and on top a few when I was really young a friend of the family had a farm with a few horses and I rode a little then, and more recently I rode when I was foolishly pursuing a tall blonde "cowgirl" that i met on a weekend trip to Eastern Washington, To save you all the boring details about that (embarrasing details) The Horses kicked my *** and a more delicate part.
I discovered that they are amazing animals with as many personalities as humans but when it comes to riding through the backcountry I will stick to two or four wheeled transport and engines.

And I can say that Ian's tounge in cheek explination of how "meeting" your horse goes is pretty much how my experience went. And he nails what you are thinking when you do see that big strong animal for the first time. The horse I most rode was called "Steve" and he was stubborn as a mule, I think thats what I liked most about him, we eventually came to an understanding (sort of) about who was in charge most of the time, but that still didnt stop him from trying to wipe me off of his back with a low tree branch , when he got tired of arguing over where to go.
His personality made it fun to ride, and the one time he did manage to remove me from his back, he did this slow turn to look at me on the ground, then gave his horse *sigh* and slowly walked back over to me and let me climb back on him. And for the rest of the ride he had an extra little spring in his step, I dont know if that was my imagination because everywhere hurt, or he was just pleased with himself, it was probably a little of both.

That one experience will forever stick in my mind as reason not to trust horses, Im not afraid of them, I know he wasnt trying to hurt me, he was just proving a point, and the whole act of "oh you arent riding anymore *sigh* i guess ill come back" really proved to me that even though they are pretty obedient and some horses can be faithful as St Bernards others are still very much there own Animals and have strong personalities.

And that is why I prefer machines that dont have a vote when it comes to where/when and how fast. But on that same note If I had the opportunity to raise a horse and really develop a bond with it Im sure I would have a different opinion.
Although once when I was riding quads through some pine stands in Eastern Washington, a Sow Elk came busting through the brush right next to the "trail" I was on with a Cougar hot on her Heels and I dont think any horse would have reacted well to that, I know I freaked out because on that narrow rocky muddy snowy trail I was going as fast as I could on that 800cc quad and the Elk and Cougar had no trouble keeping pace and It could have easily been me that ended up as Cougar lunch. Even armed I doubt there would have been anything I could have done If that cougar decided that I was "better" to eat.

My .02...

I am not an experienced horse rider. My experience consists of jumping out of tree at a young age and holding on, to renting horses every year and riding them in the mountains, loading them in trailers, playing VET in the mountains, putting on shoes, repairing shoes, feeding and attempting to make them all get along. The majority of experience occurred in the last 15 years.

I think of horses like big dogs. Smart, loving, mostly friendly, eager to please, hates discipline, loves food, loves water, loves rest and likes it's pasture (bed). I have had horses go down in canyons, run off in the woods, brush me against trees and rip $200 pants. Decide to lay down with me sitting on them or a load of meat. Run at the most inconvenient times, SPRINT through the woods, jumping over logs and trees. Play possum and pretend to be tired. Power through steep hills with 2' of snow. Carry me, my gear, half an elk and not complain. And they do it for nothing more than food, attention and shelter.

I have been hurt by them, punched them the face, whipped them, gave them my apple, scratched their favorite spot. Went way out of my way to make sure they were well watered. Carried extra pellets with me.

With all the headaches, pleasure and money, they are worth every penny. My next home will have enough property to have my own horses.

If you have never hunted with horses. Find the time to do it.

"There's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse". - Pat Parelli. Mine are my partners. There are knotheads, but we don't keep those around. A man has to recognize that humans and equines process stimulate quite differently. We are predators. Our eyes face forward, we eat meat and smell like it, our response to threat is to engage. Horses are prey animals. Their brains are split and both halves have to be trained. Their fright flight instinct is their response to threats. Visually they don't perceive the world as we do. Gain their trust and they will carry you through thick and thin. Break their trust and you are on your own. Take the time to learn to think like a horse and communicate in their language. Trust and respect are the foundations of leadership. Relationships with horses are like any other. You get what you give. Many still subscribe to the old cowboy ways. Most bad horses are made and not born.

"There's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse". - Pat Parelli. Mine are my partners. There are knotheads, but we don't keep those around. A man has to recognize that humans and equines process stimulate quite differently. We are predators. Our eyes face forward, we eat meat and smell like it, our response to threat is to engage. Horses are prey animals. Their brains are split and both halves have to be trained. Their fright flight instinct is their response to threats. Visually they don't perceive the world as we do. Gain their trust and they will carry you through thick and thin. Break their trust and you are on your own. Take the time to learn to think like a horse and communicate in their language. Trust and respect are the foundations of leadership. Relationships with horses are like any other. You get what you give. Many still subscribe to the old cowboy ways. Most bad horses are made and not born.

X2
I couldn't agree more!!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.