hornady superformance in my 223 ar?

Discussion in 'AR15/10 Rifles' started by crittrgittr, Nov 4, 2013.

1. crittrgittr

crittrgittr Well-Known Member

I am new to AR world and was wondering if anyone can tell me if I can safely shoot the Hornady Superformance in my 223 AR? Any and all input appreciated. Sorry if this is a repeat thread, I haven't been able to read these in a while.

2. ICANHITHIMMAN

ICANHITHIMMAN Well-Known Member

When the ammo first came out, I heard from some industry types to "STAY AWAY"! These are guys who build guns that are consider to be the standard of exceed it. Its not safe for the pressure curve in the AR chamber.

3. 112Savage

112Savage Well-Known Member

4. crittrgittr

thanx for the info guys, it looks like I should shy away from it.

5. yotesniper13

yotesniper13 Member

I have put hundreds of rounds of superformance through my 18" mid length AR without a single problem. The 53 gr superformance groups better than the 55 gr V Max rounds I used to shoot. They also put the smack on coyotes with not many exits.

6. snox801

snox801 Well-Known Member

I have also had no problems with it after hundreds and hundreds of rounds. If you have any doubt shoot something else. Better safe than sorry.

7. crittrgittr

Im just not sure about my 16" barrel. So Im going to pass on using them for hunting until I can actually try them first.

8. DaddyRabbit

DaddyRabbit Well-Known Member

Go with VV 133 if you want speed and excellent accuracy or alliant comp AR powder if you want the utmost in accuracy, slightly less velocity than 133 and a much cleaner burn.