Hornady SST

I feel the same way but for the oposet reason. I bowhunted goats hard last fall but just could not get close enough to a buck with the bow and not get busted by his does. First morning of rifle season and I walk up on a nice buck. 40 yards with the 7mag and Hornady Superformance 162 SSTs right behind the should. I epected to blow him right off his feet but the dang SST penciled right threw like a target arrow and the race was on. My third shot blew his back legs out from under him and he still drug himself another 100 yards:rolleyes:
I'm a believer in the Amax for long range and the Partition inside of 350 yards but see no reason for the SST not to mention the joke Hornady call Superformance, I can reload faster with the wrong powders:rolleyes:

Very interesting. I'd say, that the SST is just as controversial as the NBT as evidenced by this thread and countless others on multiple forums regarding the btips and sst successes and failures. I use to scratch my head when I'd read about btip "failure." Never ever saw that in my life.

If the SST was the only bullet available for hunting, I'd be an archery only hunter. I'd shoot the interbond or regular Hornady bullets though. The old cup/core lead bullets with the cannelure are great bullets. SSTs=crap in my opinion.

Love the comment, " my buck is bigger" . Nice! I responded to the first wolf pic, but it didn't take. Yeah, I like the BT. I had no idea that the SST was that much volatile. I tried them once, but could not get them to shoot. ( good thing) that first wolf is the biggest I have ever seen! BOW WOW ouch!! Nice doggy. AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL.7 STW. lightbulb

highcotton, for what it is worth, I suggest you stick with the AB and keep working with it. Personally, I never did get it to shoot as well as the ballistic tips. I also recommend you try the 130 TSX in your 270 with 57.0 grains of Reloder 19. I found that this load shot very well in 2 of my rifles and my brother's and the guy you see with the wolf. All rifles are "custom."

I've killed around 14-15 deer in KY, about that many in Alabama, and maybe 4 in Missouri, and 3 mule deer with that 130 TSX combo. All DRT.

Would you like to see a stack of pics with young ladies and their giant mulies all killed with a 270, 130 TSX?

Love the comment, " my buck is bigger" . Nice! I responded to the first wolf pic, but it didn't take. Yeah, I like the BT. I had no idea that the SST was that much volatile. I tried them once, but could not get them to shoot. ( good thing) that first wolf is the biggest I have ever seen! BOW WOW ouch!! Nice doggy. AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL.7 STW. lightbulb

Nooo, I said mine was MUCH bigger. :D

and Norm, the guy standing with his wolf, is 6'2". Yes, it was a big heavy old wolf with worn teeth. But it still took a couple of shots at CLOSE range to kill him. Fortunately, he got the wolf. Unfortunately, the dang ammo really shot well in his rifle. Like ONE hole to .3s. Not bad.

If the SST was the only bullet available for hunting, I'd be an archery only hunter. I'd shoot the interbond or regular Hornady bullets though. The old cup/core lead bullets with the cannelure are great bullets. SSTs=crap in my opinion.

Cracked me up. What arrow would you shoot? The equivellant of a 110ttsx would be a dart, mabey a sewing needle :D.

I think I'd of passed both those bucks. Way too small, way too close :D.

Love the wolf pics!!

That is a hell of a crater! You might expect a 110vmax at 4000 fps from the look. Any more details on the load?

highcotton, for what it is worth, I suggest you stick with the AB and keep working with it.
I changed my mind. Try the 130 TSX and don't look back. All of the following killed with 130 TSX over H4831SC

CObuckBrit2010.jpg

COmulieEmari2010.jpg

COmulieJourney2010.jpg

COmulieSydney2010.jpg

Imarisbuck1.jpg

Brittbuck3.jpg

Blackbuck2.jpg

Cracked me up. What arrow would you shoot? The equivellant of a 110ttsx would be a dart, mabey a sewing needle :D.

I think I'd of passed both those bucks. Way too small, way too close :D.

Love the wolf pics!!

That is a hell of a crater! You might expect a 110vmax at 4000 fps from the look. Any more details on the load?

I'd shoot my trusty Gold Tip arrows with never improved upon Muzzy 3 blade 100 grainers!

110 TTSX from my 270 is a laser. :D

Details on the crap bullet, SST hunk of junk load is that it was plain factory 150 grain for his 308.

Last edited:
I'd shoot my trusty Gold Tip arrows with never improved upon Muzzy 3 blade 100 grainers!

110 TTSX from my 270 is a laser. :D

Details on the crap bullet, SST hunk of junk load is that it was plain factory 150 grain for his 308.
Derek, have you tried the 130 TTSX in your .270? I tried some the other day, and they shot decent. I loaded only a few, but the Berger 140's shot like a house' afire. In seems that you are a fan of RL19 in .270 too. Mine shot the best with 19, with the Bergers, but I want to revisit the TTSX's with RL19. did you say you were shooting 57 grains, and 130 tsx ? That load must be smoking! ( gee, we should be in RELOADING) . Thanks, AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL. lightbulb:)7STW.

P/S, what is the load with the 110 TSX? Thanks, 7STW.

Derek, have you tried the 130 TTSX in your .270? I tried some the other day, and they shot decent. I loaded only a few, but the Berger 140's shot like a house' afire. In seems that you are a fan of RL19 in .270 too. Mine shot the best with 19, with the Bergers, but I want to revisit the TTSX's with RL19. did you say you were shooting 57 grains, and 130 tsx ? That load must be smoking! ( gee, we should be in RELOADING) . Thanks, AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL. lightbulb:)7STW.

P/S, what is the load with the 110 TSX? Thanks, 7STW.

The 130 TTSX shoots well in my same Ruger/Hart bbl 270. But I used H4350 with it and Re19 with the regular TSX, which is an outstanding killer. In my other 270, the 150 VLD is the ticket with IMR4350 and the Fed 215M primer. It was one of my wolf loads and I've posted the group pic several times. Measured .137" at 100 and .460 at 200 yrds.

Yes 57.0 gr Re19 pushing a 130 TSX.

Reloder 19 is one of the finest powders I've ever used in the 270 or 30.06. The latter is using Re19 with the 168 TTSX. And here's my little batch of 110 TTSX I used on that TX pronghorn: 58.0 gr H4350, 210M primer, Win brass

270110TTSX.jpg

Nice Pics Derek..... 7stw, you know we're on the same page..lol. I have been doing some recent kills with the 130 grain sst's and they have been excellent 1 shot kills, but I have heard alot of bad news about the SST's also. All mainly saying the same thing. Grenading impacts... yet still haven't had it done yet, but don't want to bet a nice buck on that. I'll post a coupla pics up tonight on the coyotes I got in excess of 200 the past two weeks. Great results. But maybe that is all the SST is good for.... coyotes.

I am going to go with the VLD's this year and defenitely the 140 accubonds for my heavier hunts, thanks to 7stw.

Derek M., I notice that you have loads up for the ttsx with the 110 grain using H4350. Do you have any loads for the 130 grain TTSX using H4350? And why the 110 over the 130's? Also Just wondering....

Any experience with the Nosler Silver tip?

I used the superformance SST 130gr in my .270. It has great knock down power. Every deer has dropped. I did have some accuracy issues. The Hornady Customs are more accurate, but don't drop the deer like the sst.

I also used it in my 300win mag on a bull elk. Good accuracy and dropped him at 250 yards. There was a good pass through. I did shoot a whitetail doe at forty yards with Hornady Superformance SST 180 gr and it did not pass through. It seems like the bullet explodes on impact at extreme close range. At 100 yards it blows right through.

Nice Pics Derek..... 7stw, you know we're on the same page..lol. I have been doing some recent kills with the 130 grain sst's and they have been excellent 1 shot kills, but I have heard alot of bad news about the SST's also. All mainly saying the same thing. Grenading impacts... yet still haven't had it done yet, but don't want to bet a nice buck on that. I'll post a coupla pics up tonight on the coyotes I got in excess of 200 the past two weeks. Great results. But maybe that is all the SST is good for.... coyotes.

Yup, the consensus seems to be that the SSTs open up easily and that can be good and bad. The New Zealand guide that has ballisticstudies website where he reviews every projectile known to man seems to be a fan of them for long distance because they do open up easily. Lots of 7mmMag users have reported penciling. Seems they are too volatile under 200 yards. For coyotes, they may be perfect. I have never shot an animal with them but they show very good accuracy at the range in the .277 130gr. But then so do the standard Hdy SPs.

The 130 TTSX shoots well in my same Ruger/Hart bbl 270. But I used H4350 with it and Re19 with the regular TSX, which is an outstanding killer. In my other 270, the 150 VLD is the ticket with IMR4350 and the Fed 215M primer. It was one of my wolf loads and I've posted the group pic several times. Measured .137" at 100 and .460 at 200 yrds.

Yes 57.0 gr Re19 pushing a 130 TSX.

Reloder 19 is one of the finest powders I've ever used in the 270 or 30.06. The latter is using Re19 with the 168 TTSX. And here's my little batch of 110 TTSX I used on that TX pronghorn: 58.0 gr H4350, 210M primer, Win brass

Back to Derek's excellent reports...

Living in the Rebulik of Kalifornia, we are being forced to shift over to lead free. I have already done that because of the Condor Zones which are already in place for some years now. It certainly limits our choices, but may not be such a bad thing as long as they work on coyotes as well as they did on Derek's wolves. :rolleyes: The cost is an ouch though. There was a public comments hearing last Monday in Sacramento and I wanted to go and bring the cost issue up but couldn't make it in time; maybe the enviroLefties there will give us rebate vouchers on Barnes or GMX if we argue that "underprivileged" people would be excluded from hunting. LOL.

I've been using the 130gr TSX in my 270 and they have worked very well on wild pigs. H3450 & GM210M. They only go out around 2900 but expand nicely at the distances I shot animals with them, just under 200 yards, leaving a quarter sized exit hole no matter what they hit in between, including shoulder bone on 1 pig. The TSX never fails and just seems to drill them DRT! I was thinking of switching to SSTs for deer this season but now I see no reason to take a chance at low penetration, excessive meat damage or any of that. Just drill them with a TSX or TTSX.

I'm now developing a 130 TTSX load to insure good expansion on the soft tissue of deer vitals at any range/vel down to 1800fps which is what Barnes says is the minimum expansion vel for these.

The question still stands, Derek, why the 110 TTSX vs. the 130? It would seem like you'd get more bloodshot meat damage with the lighter bullet / higher velocity.

In the attached pic you can see blood splatter all the way up to his eye and ridge back. I hit him about 1" above his heart and the entry hole was dime size.

One farmer I met who shoots an 06 with TTSX said he thinks they almost expand too much! LOL, no such thing if they retain 90% weight.

Attachments

• 240lbBoar130Tsx.bmp
    1.3 MB · Views: 218
Loaded another ladder of sst's for my Howa (165 .308) and 50 for a ladder for my buddy's 7 last night. He got blems. 60 bucks for 500 hnnngh

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.