Hornady SST vs A-Max

yellowjacket
I have shot both in 6.5, accuracy was the same for both at 100 yds. Haven't tried the Amaxs any further than that as the groups were at or just under 1 moa and I'd rather hunt with the SSTs. I'm still toying with the SSTs to see if I can tighten up the groups.
Chris

Thanks chis, accuracy has always been the most important quest in my shooting and reloading ventures. I am only willing to move into a stronger game bullet if it will produce the accuracy my rifle is capable of achiving. I only hunt whitetail and my 40+ years of shooting deer has taught me that most any suitable caliber bullet will easily and quickly take a deer out with good bullet placement. I started testing the A-max last year and so far my results have been excellent. I have not fired a SST yet but am really wondering if they can match the A-max performance?? Thanks Jim.

Jim
Certainly understand the accuracy standpoint.
My rifle doesn't seem to care for the Hornady bullets that much. It shoots the 140 gr SMK into the .2-.4 range regularly, unfortunatly I didn't like their on game performance. I've gotten the SSTs to shoot into the .7-.9 range but thats the best so far. I just picked up 2 lbs of H4831sc maybe I'll see some improvement there.
Chris

Chris, it seems we are going down a similar path. I used the smk for a while and always cleanly harvest my whitetail, but it seemed the bullet was opening a bit slowly and the kill was not a quick as I would like. I feel either of the Hornady bullets will change this results. The deep penetrating clan should love the smk since I never failed to get a great exit wound. Jim.

YellowJacket, we load the A-max and the SMK in different calibers and find to a hundred yds it really doesn't matter what you shoot, (but then who shoots at 100yds anymore)? We shoot out to say 500 yds and have had excellent results w/the A-max. Some guns love them and some just seem to be a bit lackluster if you will. Past 300 yds the A-max really does shine in the guns that love them. I would try the SMK's and the Lapua's as well.

[ QUOTE ]
How closely do you feel the SST would compare to the A-Max in the accuracy dept. in 7mm and .30cal.??

[/ QUOTE ]

I am a one load/bullet per rifle guy and shoot the 162SST in my Savage 112 7mm. I also load for accuracy and tried the 168SMK with great on-paper performance, but I also have a good deal of experience with them from a military stand point. The terminal performance is far better than your ball ammo but there are much better bullets also,I switched to the SST for better on game performance. They also have a better "stated" b.c. than the MK. They have been known to shoot 1/4 inch groops at 100 from my rifle, so they CAN be made to shoot. These bullets wreak havoc on a whitetailed deer.

For an accurate hunting bullet, the SST is hard to beat. I have used them in several rifles all shooting well under sub MOA at longer ranges.

The 140gr SST is in fact one of the longest 6.5 bullets anywhere. This relates to very high BC. Accuracy in several rifles, including my 6.5 Mystic puts it in match category.

As a rule, the SST's will have higher real world BC than any similar weight/cal hunting bullet. Only some VLD match bullets beat them.

The Amax are also very accurate with very high BC. They are differently designed. The 140gr SST has a higher BC then the Amax. The 162gr 7mm Amax higher then the SST.

Just load them and shoot them. I am sure you will find them very accurate. On game performance of the SST is similar to the Interlocks, meaning very good.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.