Hornady SST for elk

land308

My 300 win mag is not going to be ready for elk hunting this year. My only other option is shooting my 308 win. I have been shooting hornady 165 gr sst's for rock chucks and coyotes. muzzle velocity is 2450 fps. Have any of you shot any elk or large game with this bullet near these velocities?

Why not exchange the SST for the Interbond? I think the SST is great for deer, but if you might hit an elks shoulder I think the Interbond will hold up better.

No experience with elk, but I like penetration.

edge.

I am not planing on doing any other big game hunting with this rifle otherwise I would probable load up something more sturdy. Just trying to save some money and use rounds I already have. I had actually just decided to switch back to 125 gr speer TNT hp for small game. I have had good results with the TNT's on varmints and kick is much lighter.

Last year I used a 150 grain SST (factory load) on an elk with my 308. It died within 75 yards of where I first hit it. The shot was only at about 100 yards with a running elk. To be honest I wasn't very sure how the SST would work on elk but it was what shot well in the gun.

This is a crazy post............

the sst is a super explosive bullet and that is an understatement! A Box of interbonds are $35 max. If you can't afford a box of interbonds, you can't afford to go elk hunting! A 150g SST blew up on the rib of a 120lb white tail deer for me and did not penetrate to the opposite side of the deer! Hello!

If I was out of every other option I would say that bullet WILL work for behind the shoulder shot. It wouldn't be my choice....and interlock is the same bullet with a lead tip and it would certainly be up to the task at that speed. Those plastic tips just don't belong on a non bonded big game bullet IMHO.

Land , I would suggest you pull the sst´s out and put an acubond/interbond....you´ll have to spend some bucks in the new bullets but you´ll decrease your chances of leaving an injured elk out there...unless you can be 100% sure you will not hit any bones and get a broadside shot on your elk.

By one box of light mags or high energy. They should be less than $30 a box. Use about 10 or less to sight in. You will have a 30-06, velocity wise, and $5 worth of brass. Even if they shoot 2.5" groups, that's still less than 4" from point of aim at 300yds. capt david /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.