Hornady Press Release

Ian M

(Grand Island, NE) – Based on the beltless 375 Ruger, the 300 and 338 RCM's are engineered to offer 300 and 338 Win Mag performance, but in a more compact package. A new generation of cartridge design provides unmatched ballistic performance, less felt recoil, longer barrel life, and superior performance at all temperatures, in a package that is well suited to all hunting environments and conditions any hunter may encounter. The 300 RCM is available in 150, 165 and 180-grain SST offerings. Each 300 RCM load exceeds comparative 300 Win Mag loads from a 20" barrel. Muzzle velocities for the 300 RCM are 3,170 fps, 3,030 fps, and 2,900 fps, respectively – from a 20" factory barrel. The 338 RCM is available in the newly developed 200 gr SST, and 225 gr SST offerings. Velocities for the 338 RCMs are 2,850 fps and 2,710 fps respectively, easily out performing the 338 Win Mag at equal barrel length.

They say that these rounds outperform the 300WM & 338WM with equal barrel lengths, which in this case is 20". But, I would never have a 300WM or 338WM with a 20" tube, so it doesn't matter much to me. I read the G & A article, but they don't appeal to me, however a necked down 375Ruger might have, with a real barrel attached.

Reloading

I believe that these will be like the rest off the new additions from Hornady and Ruger the velocity off factory ammo will be awsome but un obtainable to the reloader because aff special loading techniques and proprietary propelants. Like the 30TC its case capacity and shape are very similar to the 300 Savage but it exceeds both factory 308 and 30-06 ballistics this is because of the above mentioned propelants. So unless you are only going to use factory ammo they realy are useless to the handloader, as the performance will be a lot less this also could be a dangerous situation if Jo Blo has a chronograph fires factory ammo then tries to duplicate the velocity.

Cheers Bill

There are no secret "proprietary propellants" or secret loading techniques.

There is an "Off the shelf" propellant that fits every burning rate slot, for mid sized cases.

If they got the velocity, then you can do it also.

Sorry but you are wrong

Contact Hornady and ask how to bet the propelants they usenfor their light mag and new cartridges they will tell you you can't. This is also in some of their advertising they have propelants made generally by St Marks powders and they are high energg and also highly compressed and not available to handloaders.

Just the facts.

Please note I havenhand loaded over a million rounds professionaly and have had access to powders not available to private individuals only businesses with an OEM number and registered as a commercial manufacturer.

Cheers Bill
Australia

There are no secret "proprietary propellants" or secret loading techniques.

There is an "Off the shelf" propellant that fits every burning rate slot, for mid sized cases.

If they got the velocity, then you can do it also.

? catshooter

I have a question for you how do you load a 300 Savage capacity case to have greater performance than a 30-06? If you use conventional loading techniques with both the larger case will always win. So could you please explain it? as I obviously must not know what I'm talking about that's why I answered thw thread. Also Hornady has stated that the 30 TC can not be hand loaded to match the factory ballistics at this time as the propelants THEY USE are not available to the general public

Cheers Bill

Contact Hornady and ask how to bet the propelants they usenfor their light mag and new cartridges they will tell you you can't. This is also in some of their advertising they have propelants made generally by St Marks powders and they are high energg and also highly compressed and not available to handloaders.

Just the facts.

Please note I havenhand loaded over a million rounds professionaly and have had access to powders not available to private individuals only businesses with an OEM number and registered as a commercial manufacturer.

Cheers Bill
Australia

Bill... I realize that you live in "OZ", and there are differences in our language, but can you please translate "Contact Hornady and ask how to bet the propelants they usenfor " for me.

If you are a commercial loader, then you should KNOW that the Hornady loads are loaded to C.I.P. standards, not SAAMI - BIG DIFFERENCE IN PRESSURES - Bill... how did that one get by you??

As to loading experence... I have been loading since before you got your first tricycle - I loaded commercially for a number of years, and still have three commercial loading machines, and a pressure gun - so I'm not impressed with your million rounds - that's less than a few months of production for a small, one man shop - and I'm not impressed with your lack of knowledge, especially since you are unaware of the C.I.P. standards that Hornady uses with their "light mag" rounds.

If the 300 Savage case, and the 30-06 case are loaded with the SAME pressure standards, the '06 will beat the crap out of the 300 Savage every time... Duh!!

Do take note - high energy propellants ARE available to the public, without a special license (at least in the USA), and though you may consider the USA to be somewhat backwards, we did figure out (many years ago), how to compress a powder charge - after all, we DID invent handloading, while you lot were still trying to figure out how the boomerang came back.

There are no secret powders... the reason that you "can't get" the powders that Hornady (or Federal, or Winchester) uses, is because they are "bulk" powders, and carry different numbers than the "canister" powders that are available over the counter.

For example... W-750 is a ball powder of medium burning rate, that is loaded in millions of 308 and 223 class cartridges every month. It is similar to W-748, which is the canister version. You can't get W-750 (actually you can), because each lot varies so much that it must be calibrated by the loading company, and the machines adjusted - so the amount of powder that you will find in your 308 rounds is different every time you buy a box (if the lot number is different).

Now... if you have the smarts and wherewithal to do it, you can buy W-750 (or any of the other bulk powders) and load them... and they are very cheap. But you must generate the loading data yourself.

So, Bill... stuff it!

Sorry you are still wrong

you must be realy good to HAND LOAD a million rounds in a month. I know their are some so called High energy powders but Hornady dontnuse VV powders! Call Hornady abd ask them if YOU can purchase their propelants until you get a reply I think you are FULL OFF IT.

It sounds like your are quite the hero

Bill

you must be realy good to HAND LOAD a million rounds in a month. I know their are some so called High energy powders but Hornady dontnuse VV powders! Call Hornady abd ask them if YOU can purchase their propelants until you get a reply I think you are FULL OFF IT.

It sounds like your are quite the hero

Bill

I never said I loaded a million rounds in a month... I said a few months. And since you are a professional loader, you should know that hydraulic machines with auto bullet feeders can make those numbers easily.

Sounds like you don't know what you are talking about.

Last edited:
Hmmm....

I do know that some propellants are not available in quantities that MOST handloaders would buy.

Alexander Arms uses a bulk propellant that I would love to use, but it is only available in 25 pound drums or some such, more powder than I care to store on my premises. I could buy it, but only in that quantity. They are trying to make it available in smaller canisters, but so far it hasn't happened.

As for the Big Boys like Hornady using some "special" powder, I suspect it is exactly the same, a bulk powder which is available, but only in larger quantities than most of us would buy at one time.

I do know that batch to batch, some of the powders have significant changes in properties, and the powder manufacturers have to test each batch and make adjustments. I'm NOT sure why that happens in todays ultra mechanized manufacturing processes. It seems like the recipes could be VERY precise, and vary little, if any.

Do I think someone could match Hornady's performance with an available powder? Eventually, yes, but I think it would take LOTS of experimentation to do so. I understand from some other reading that Hornady went through thousand upon thousands of test rounds to come up with the right mix of powder and bullet to get this performance.

Bill

cat fight

Hi no cats here I just put it on the pest list. some peopple think they're better than others when people are just placing they're opinions.

Cheers Bill
Australia

They say that these rounds outperform the 300WM & 338WM with equal barrel lengths, which in this case is 20". But, I would never have a 300WM or 338WM with a 20" tube, so it doesn't matter much to me. I read the G & A article, but they don't appeal to me, however a necked down 375Ruger might have, with a real barrel attached.

I read the numbers over and over and over. I just dont believe it. I think this may be a good calibre, the 375Ruger, but it seem like this is a thing like how fabulous the WSM cartridges was supposed to be, on paper, but they really aint. I dont see a short ctg equalling the 375H&H or the 338WInMag on paper or anywhere else. But that dont make it bad.

I just wish the mfrs would focus on better rifles with longer barrels than coming up with a new shorty ctg every 6 months.

There just aint no substitute for cubic inches. Bigger is best. Nuff said.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.