Hornady Match Bullets

Long Time Long Ranger

Has anyone tried the .338 250 grain hornady match bullet at .675 BC. I got in a big order of bullets yesterday in all calibers and these looked really good. Also the 208 grain .30 caliber A-Max looked really good also at .648 BC. Any input on any of these. Also the 162 A-Max looked good in 7mm but on the box says 1-8 twist. I have shot 175 grain bullets with slower twists. I don't think it needs a 1-8. Any input on this.

If you push them fast they should work if you have the standard 1-9"ish barrel. But if you're shooting a 7mm BR, 7mm-08, etc. I doubt it. I can shoot bullets that recommend 1-8 and 1-9" in my 1-10" 6mm Ackley.

7 mm 162 amax has worked for me on a factory remington 7rm, 9 1/2 twist,

6,5 mm amax 140 g. works great.

got some 208 amax 30 cal... but the rifle isnt here yet ( 300 rum).

I use the 162's in my factory barreled A-Bolt 7-08 which I assume is a 1:9 twist but I've never measured. It likes them:

PICT0069.jpg

The only thing I don't like is some of the tips are on the bullets crooked. I had to roll each bullet on a table before loading, culling the worst wobblers. Two different boxes now. Oh well, they're cheap and the gun likes them.

I've also used the 208's in my 300. Nice bullets.

Thanks everyone, They were going in a 7mm STW and a 7mm JRS which is a blown out 280 case with velocities about the same as a 7mm remington. I think one is a 1-9 and the other 1-9.5. I just got kinda worried when I saw the 1-8 on the box. Looks like I will be fine though. I got some of the 140 Amax for a 264 STW and Winny and looking forward to trying those also. The 208's go in a 300 ultramag that likes heavy bullets. 3250 fps with the 200's so with that BC I like the looks of that combo. Me and my son both drew some awesome tags this year and he is going through a bunch of different guns to pick out his favorite. One for elk and one for deer. He is excited and I guess dad is to. My son got the best tags and has a legitimate shot at a book muley and whitetail with his draws. He should get some great deer either way.

i'll say it before Roy does...still didn't hit the dime!

i've shot the 250's a little and they shoot at least as good as the Sierra's did in my gun. had a couple 1" groups at 300 with a muzzle velocity of just under 3100. didn't really have time to fine tune them. gonna do some terminal testing with them real soon. gotta get my milk jug collection up to 20 or so. i talked to an engineer at Hornady a while back and he said they never did any terminal testing with the 250 as it was made for paper only. he also said he would be very interested in any testing or game taken with them. i like the bigger hollow point, my belief is that's one of the main ingredients in getting them to open up on smaller game. by smaller game i'm talking about regular sized whitetails. everyone is in love with the 300gr SMK but it doesn't always open up on deer. most that have used both prefer the 250 over the 300 for deer. this would be out to 1k or so. not talking elk here, the 300 is possibly the best bullet there is for elk.

Dave, which rifle are you getting 3100 fps with the 300 matchkings? Thanks for the report on the 250's. They are for my pet 338-378. It will be the elk rifle. Always has been. The other stuff is for the deer. I shoot the 250's at 3300 fps and the 300's at 3000 fps. At the ranges I shoot the 250 seems to look a lot better. Not much difference in BC for 300 fps. I shoot inside 800 yards. I call myself a mid-range shooter.

I can tell you in October what the 250's will do on elk if they work out in the rifle. With the tags we drew we will have no problem testing the bullets. I just hope my son gets a big one. I got a 360 6x6 in there last time. I have been shooting the 200 grain nosler ballistic tips at 3600 fps because they are so accurate in my gun but they really fall off past about 650 yards. The BC on the 250's can give me some extra umpf if I have to shoot a bit further. Last year I got a really nice bull at just under 800 yards and that really stretched the little 200 ballistic tip. It did a good job on the elk but the wind catches it a bit way out there.

dave yup ya beat me to it.

RE the 250 Hornadys. I've got along real well with any of the interlock bullet's performance in most calibers I've tried with them.

The 250 Match in my 338 RUM didn't shoot so well. Velocity was good but groups were random.

Ranger, i was talking about the 250 Hornady at 3100 shooting at 300 yards. sorry, wasn't very clear.

good luck with the elk this year. i've been putting in for 3 years now. frustrating how they keep dropping the number of tags available.

Jon, i know what you mean about the group in the bullseye. all of my best groups are no where near the bull. i just said that to beat the "old pig killer"

Has anyone tried the .338 250 grain hornady match bullet at .675 BC. I got in a big order of bullets yesterday in all calibers and these looked really good. Also the 208 grain .30 caliber A-Max looked really good also at .648 BC. Any input on any of these. Also the 162 A-Max looked good in 7mm but on the box says 1-8 twist. I have shot 175 grain bullets with slower twists. I don't think it needs a 1-8. Any input on this.

Hornady seems to always recommend more twist than is actually needed. I have shot the 162gr A-Max from a 10" twist barrel in 7 STW and got very good results. I'm thinking of loading a few of the 208's in my 300 RUM (11" twist) but am waiting for a little board feedback before ordering any.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.