hornady match bullets

From what I have seen, I would say no.

My dad shot an antelope in the lower neck/brisket with one from the Black Hills 168 gr. match ammo. It literally blew up on impact and did not penetrate more than 3-4 inches. The wound was about 3 inches in diameter. It knocked the antelope down with authority, but it got back up and staggered around until it was shot again thriugh the rib cage. The rib cage shot performed normally (~2inch exit wound).

The HPBT bullet that BlackHills uses is a Sierra Match King which is a little tougher than the Hornady bullet as the Hornady uses a J4 jacket material like the Berger and Nosler match bullets , so if anything the Hornady bullet will expand faster.

I have only seen on animal shot with one factory loaded 168gr , a large (80lb ish) pitbull-mutt , and it was shot from a 18" barreled AR-10 at about 50yds , the bullet hit the front shoulder and exited behind the off side shoulder leaving a fist sized hole the dog dropped at the shot and barely kicked after.

i woulden't worry about using them on deer sized game at longer range but at close range or bigger game they may not give to good of penitration

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.