Hornady Lock N Load Modified case threads

Alucard

Hey all,

I have the Hornday Lock N Load Overall length measuring tool. I have some of the Modified cases that you can thread onto the gauge. The only problem is that they do not make a 6-284 modified case. So I would like to make my own out of a fire formed piece of brass. So the question is, what threads do these modified cases use???

I know its a 7mm hole, so I would assume that they used a 9/32 (0.28125) drill bit. The threads themselves are an oddball size. I have no clue what they are. I have tried **** near every 8mm metric thread I could find and none fit. I would assume they are 7mm since the bit used is 7mm but couldn't find any 7mm bolts. But, I am not sure of the pitch and thread count.

I guess if I am in a real pinch I could just send Hornday the brass and have them do it, but I am in Canada, and do not want to wait the month round trip it will take to get this done.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks ss7mm!

So, just so I know what I am looking for, which drill bit should I use? Get a 9/32 bit, drill out the center and tap using a 5/16" x 36 thread? Sorry for the noob questions. :p

Thanks ss7mm!

So, just so I know what I am looking for, which drill bit should I use? Get a 9/32" bit, drill out the center and tap using a 5/16" x 36 thread?
Usually the tap will have etched on it what size drill bit is recommended. This question comes up frequently, and if you do a search or two you can find the source and specs for these tools.

OK, thanks for the help guys! I am in the process of hunting down a 5/16" x 36 thread tap. Not an easy thing to find. Thanks again!

Call Russ Haydon's Shooting Supply in Gig Harbor WA; they should have them in stock. Various machine tool places will also, but it's nice buying from stores that support shooters.

Monte

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.