Hornady Lock N Load Modified case threads

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Alucard, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Alucard

Alucard Well-Known Member

Hey all,

I have the Hornday Lock N Load Overall length measuring tool. I have some of the Modified cases that you can thread onto the gauge. The only problem is that they do not make a 6-284 modified case. So I would like to make my own out of a fire formed piece of brass. So the question is, what threads do these modified cases use???

I know its a 7mm hole, so I would assume that they used a 9/32 (0.28125) drill bit. The threads themselves are an oddball size. I have no clue what they are. I have tried damn near every 8mm metric thread I could find and none fit. I would assume they are 7mm since the bit used is 7mm but couldn't find any 7mm bolts. But, I am not sure of the pitch and thread count.

I guess if I am in a real pinch I could just send Hornday the brass and have them do it, but I am in Canada, and do not want to wait the month round trip it will take to get this done.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

2. ss7mm

ss7mm Writers Guild

5/16" x 36

3. Alucard

Thanks ss7mm!

So, just so I know what I am looking for, which drill bit should I use? Get a 9/32 bit, drill out the center and tap using a 5/16" x 36 thread? Sorry for the noob questions. :p

4. ss7mm

ss7mm Writers Guild

Charts call for 9/32" drill

5. gamedog

gamedog Well-Known Member

You can also send in a couple of fired cases and they'll build you one for like $7.00 or so.

6. Winchester 69

Winchester 69 Well-Known Member

Usually the tap will have etched on it what size drill bit is recommended. This question comes up frequently, and if you do a search or two you can find the source and specs for these tools.

7. Alucard

OK, thanks for the help guys! I am in the process of hunting down a 5/16" x 36 thread tap. Not an easy thing to find. Thanks again!

8. milanuk

milanuk Well-Known Member

Call Russ Haydon's Shooting Supply in Gig Harbor WA; they should have them in stock. Various machine tool places will also, but it's nice buying from stores that support shooters.

Monte

9. geargrinder

geargrinder Well-Known Member