Hornady Leverevolution ammo

jay1957

This has probably been asked and answered several times already on this forum, but I am new here.

I've always been a bolt action man, I own seven centerfire bolt action rifles beginning with the 243 winchester and ending with my latest purchase a Stevens model 200 in 300 Win mag (which I love BTW), about a month ago a pal of mine wanted one of my 870 express Remington shotguns really bad, he had a Marlin 336 in 35 Rem to swap, it was wearing a nice entry level Leupold scope in see thru mounts :rolleyes: (yeah I know) anyway I traded for the rig bought 2 boxes of the new 200 gr ammo and went to my local range.

I didn't expect much in the accuracy department especially given the gawd awful mounting system.......boy was I wrong! the 100 yd average group went just under MOA, moving out to 200 yards I started shooting slow fire 3 shot groups, letting the barrel cool between shots, my best group went into just under 3/4 inch... this is **** good from a lever gun!

My question is how does this bullet preform on game?

Thanks, Jay

I have not shot any game with them myself but I have seen several that were shot using the 444 version. All have dropped in their tracks and had massive internal damage when they were field dressed.

there designed for game and do a pretty job on them I'm shooting them out of my sharps

JIM

Thanks guys, I've yet to shoot anything with them but paper.
I'd like to see it in the 150 gr bullet, now that would be smoking, probably the only drawback would be the short bullet, IMHO this turns the old 35 into a legitimate 300 yard gun.

Jay

theres a bunch of people using that ammo here in mississippi with great results mainly in 45-70 and 444 marlin and some 30-30 and 35 rem.

This has probably been asked and answered several times already on this forum, but I am new here.

I've always been a bolt action man, I own seven centerfire bolt action rifles beginning with the 243 winchester and ending with my latest purchase a Stevens model 200 in 300 Win mag (which I love BTW), about a month ago a pal of mine wanted one of my 870 express Remington shotguns really bad, he had a Marlin 336 in 35 Rem to swap, it was wearing a nice entry level Leupold scope in see thru mounts :rolleyes: (yeah I know) anyway I traded for the rig bought 2 boxes of the new 200 gr ammo and went to my local range.

I didn't expect much in the accuracy department especially given the gawd awful mounting system.......boy was I wrong! the 100 yd average group went just under MOA, moving out to 200 yards I started shooting slow fire 3 shot groups, letting the barrel cool between shots, my best group went into just under 3/4 inch... this is **** good from a lever gun!

My question is how does this bullet preform on game?

Thanks, Jay

35 Rem, good grief, whats the world coming to ?!?!?! I have read that ammo is some good stuff, as it seems so.

I have taken a few deer with them in my 450 and non of them complained all dead within 40 yds..

I have a a 336 in 30-30 and with the blunt nosed stuff I keep about a 2.5moa off the bench with it. With the Leverrevoluton it brings it down to about 1.25-1.75" groups at 100yds. It's an easily noticeable improvement without making any other improvements to the rifle. I like the stuff, wish I could re-load with bullets like this...haven't been shopping lately, but has HOrnady come out with bullets for reloading yet?

Matt

ammo

They didn't work so bad on this little fella (sorry for all the blood we had to drag the bugger quite aways and it looks a lot worse than it was.) This was with the 45-70 rounds out of a marlin cowboy

P8030069.jpg

Jordan

30-30 160 grain

My Dad took a nice mule deer at 50 yards and I shot a whitetail at about 20 yards. Both showed devistating expansion and immediate kills.

35443Dadmd2.JPG

At the short ranges, neither bullet existed but internal damage was huge. I suspect at longer ranges the expansion would be a little less but they would probably exit the animal. In the 30-30, it has become our still hunting gun\bullet of choice.

I hope they release the bullets for reloading, also.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts