Hornady A-Max 7mm Rem Mag. & Barrel twist

yellowjacket

I am not sure the twist rate on factory 7mm Rem. Mag barrels and I would like to know if anyone has experience shooting the 162 gr. A-max and if it stabilizes ok and if accuracy is good. This is a very handsome bullet that I would like to try, but the box states 8" twist rate?? My 7mm rifles are late model Win. Model 70 , Rem. 700 and Browning Model 78?

Factory twist should be 9 or 9.5. You should have no problem with the 162gr A-Max in these barrels.

I just loaded the 162's in my 10 twist 7STW. Not sure yet how they will do in a 10 twist but its pushing it a bit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

VH

I ran Hornady 162 spire points in my 7mm rem Mag with great results. That was before the A-Max were out.
H-1000 is a great powder for the 162's.

I shot a rem ks in 7 rm with a 9,5 twist, A-max 162 moly at 2840 ft/s. I managed a three shot group of 0,9 cm at 100 m. Two goups with speeds under and over that, were around 1,5 cm.

I also thought I would have trouble with the twist since the box clearly refers to the need of an 1/8 twist, but it does not seem to be the case.

Try them and good luck.

Meichele, We have used the 162 a/max a lot in longrange benchrest in Australia with good results in a 10in twist with speeds from 2850 to 3150 fps.We are also in early tests with the new 175 Smk and it looks promising in the same gun.JR..Jeff Rogers..ps i live in a tropical warm climate..[ QUOTE ]
VH,

Please keep us informed as to how the 10x performs with those 162 AMAX's. I am looking for the best all around twist for that bullet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also have a Rem7mmRem Mag in a Sako AV, the gun shoot's very well with the right loads with nosler 160gr AB's in the .05's. with Hornady IB's the same load shoot's 5.0". the 162gr A-Max will shoot much better but you must do some tinkering on your own.
have fun B.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.