Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by JPRITT, Jan 13, 2008.

1. JPRITT

JPRITT Well-Known Member

Does anybody have any dirt on the new Hornady 6.5 creedmoor round. Looks impressive on hornadys web site. Its supposed to have a smaller case than the 260 but be around the 3000fps mark. as far as I know only DPMS is chambering it. If anyone has any additional info i'd like to hear it. thanks!

2. petenz

petenz Well-Known Member

the velocities given for it are out of a 27 or 28 inch barrel, .260 would be a better option IMHO

3. Dirtybob1

Dirtybob1 Well-Known Member

Creedmore

There is some discussion on 6mmbr.com. Creedmore has more capacity than 6.5x47L, but less than .260. Case design of 6.5x47L and Creedmore are more condusive to accuracy and longer barrel life vs. .260

No free lunch, more capacity, longer barrel and higher pressure yeilds higher velocity. I think Hornady used long barrel and high pressure to attain results.

4. speedbump

speedbump Well-Known Member

I think the design was primarily for semi-auto match rifles, or tube guns with long barrels and match sights. For what it's designed to do - it's nice. Unless a person just wants something different, I'd personally opt for a 6.5-284 6.5x55, or standard .260 if I were considering a 6.5 bolt piece for LR applications.

5. 6mm Shooter

6mm Shooter Well-Known Member

To get those velocities they use a powder with higher amounts of nitro that makes it unavailable for the general public.

6. adam32

adam32 Banned

Yep, just like they do with the .204 :mad:

7. JPRITT

JPRITT Well-Known Member

thanks fellas,

For some reason I have a 6.5 bug eating at me. 6.5x284 seemed to be the ticket but then I learned of the short barrel life and the 260 seems to be lacking in the velocity dept. so I was hoping the 6.5 Creedmoor would be promising. oh well back to the drawing board.

8. bgoldhunter

bgoldhunter Well-Known Member

Why not a 260AI?

Almost the same velocities as the 6.5-284, and a better barrel life, all in a more efficient package.

9. diderr

diderr Well-Known Member

6.5 creedmoor group
    [​IMG]

10. JPRITT

JPRITT Well-Known Member

260 AI ??? I like it!

Ok so someone school me here. If the 260AI is supposed to produce simular ballistics than whey would it be easier on barrels then the legendary 6.5 284?

11. dcjs

dcjs New Member

12. SeniorSendero

SeniorSendero Well-Known Member

Then again, the 260 Remington ain't to bad either.

[​IMG]

I've only fired about 20 rounds through it so far, so I'm still breaking it in and doing load developement.

R

13. Mysticplayer

Mysticplayer Writers Guild

How fast do you want to do?

If you do any snooping on 6mmBR or other forums, you will quickly find these cartridges being discussed from a competition perspective.

All have their place. Just depends on what you are trying to do.

AS for performance, at the same operating pressures and effective barrel lengths, the 6.5X47L/Creedmore are slower then the 260R which is slower then the 6.5 Mystic/260AI/6.5 Swede which are slower then the 6.5 Swede AI/ X57 which are slower then the 6.5-284/'06's.

There is simply no replacement for displacement. All of these can be made to shoot equally well !!!

Remember that if you can't duplicate some fancy powder technology or must use a vault strong action, that is not desireable performance to me.

The 6.5 X47L is gaining in popularity due in large part to the super strong Lapua brass. Unfortunately, you better have a nice tight strong action and smooth barrel or you will not be able to get the velocities levels some quote. This is not an ideal hunting set up in my opinion.

I prefer to run a larger case at lower pressures in a hunting rig. Far more reliable when things get wet and/or dirty.

For a range rocket with rules, mag restrictions, time constraints, whatever, sure. Each has been designed to meet a performance goal.

Jerry

Last edited: Feb 19, 2008
  14. dmgreene

dmgreene Well-Known Member

Well said Mystic, just like building race engines-cubic inches=horsepower. Sure, you can make a small one outperform a big one by taking it past the reliable limits but something is going to give sooner or later.

David