Hornady .338 lapua vs. .338 magnum

Ron J

I just had a scope mounted (Viper HS LR 6-24 X50) on my Savage 110 .338 Lapua Magnum. Haven't shot it of course, so I needed some ammo I asked the dude at the counter what would be a good round to zero. He handed me a box of Hornady .338 Lapua Match. I got home and noticed it didn't read on the box "magnum". I've seen boxes of .338 magnum for sale..........so,
the question is: Can I shoot these Hornady .338 lapua in my magnum?

Also at what range would you zero at? I would like to reach out there a ways... so zero at 300yrds?

Thanks for any answers.

Ron

The box he handed you is most likely Hornady's Match loading for the .338 Lapua Magnum. As far as zero distance, 100yds is the standard, that way your always dialing up whether it's in to 10 yards or out to 1000. Good luck!

Wow.....Thanks 7mmShooter, TXAoudadKlr, that saved me a couple hundred.

7mmShooter, That sound good (100 yrds) Every thing else I've owned was there, but this is the first long range weapon. Even still it makes sense to dial up..... might be a bit hard to get that low from 300 yards.
I'm thinking why in the hell does someone with my knowledge of a particular weapon even own one..... no worries I will do my homework before heading to the range, besides it's getting a bit cold to sit out there.

Anyway, thanks for the quick replies, I'll sleep now.

Ron

Wow.....Thanks 7mmShooter, TXAoudadKlr, that saved me a couple hundred.

7mmShooter, That sound good (100 yrds) Every thing else I've owned was there, but this is the first long range weapon. Even still it makes sense to dial up..... might be a bit hard to get that low from 300 yards.
I'm thinking why in the hell does someone with my knowledge of a particular weapon even own one..... no worries I will do my homework before heading to the range, besides it's getting a bit cold to sit out there.

Anyway, thanks for the quick replies, I'll sleep now.

Ron
These guys are leading you in the right direction. Unless something is wrong with your setup you should have more than enough adjustment.

I like to zero at 200 yards with my hunting rifles. That way I'm shooting within 2" out to about 240 yards. I will just hold over out to 350 yards (10" or less of drop) and I will dial elevation beyond that.

I like to zero at 200 yards with my hunting rifles. That way I'm shooting within 2" out to about 240 yards. I will just hold over out to 350 yards (10" or less of drop) and I will dial elevation beyond that.

I also do this because even if you hit a bit high at 100 it's a 338 lapua elk will go down as long as it hits right side to side.

Thanks for the confirmation WildRose. I feel comfortable shooting using the given Hornady.

I'm sure I will find the zero that works best for me. I was thinking 200 yrds. But using 100 yrds will get me comfortable enough to work with the reticle for a hold over at 200 or beyond. Once there I can zero at 200 and work down..... see how that goes anyway.

I sure appreciate the input here......
Thank You all

Ron

I shoot a 338 RUM, basically a twin to the Lapua. I zero at 100 for the purpose of knowing where to dial. When hunting in open country, I typically dial 3 moa which puts me close to dead on at 300. If I need to dial for a long shot, I just continue the dial to get where I need to be. The important part is to practice a lot at the longest ranges you want to shoot. Confirm your drops to verify your velocity and enter the information into a good ballistic program like the G7 ballistic table.

Another important thing is HAND LOAD some ammo.
That monster should make Eastern Washington state a dangerous place for whatever you decide to aim it at.

I shoot a 338 RUM, basically a twin to the Lapua. I zero at 100 for the purpose of knowing where to dial. When hunting in open country, I typically dial 3 moa which puts me close to dead on at 300. If I need to dial for a long shot, I just continue the dial to get where I need to be. The important part is to practice a lot at the longest ranges you want to shoot. Confirm your drops to verify your velocity and enter the information into a good ballistic program like the G7 ballistic table.

Yeah, I've decided to zero at 100, and use muscle memory to get me to that 300 range, as well as 500.

I should be fun getting to know this weapon. I'm sure anyone sitting next to me will opt to move over a couple of lanes.

Thanks,
Ron

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.