Hornady .338 250gr Match, .675bc ????

PEI Rob

https://www.hornady.com/shop/?page=ballistics/popup&product_sku=33361

What's up with that? Is that bullet really that hi in a G1 bc? How do they shoot? How do they kill?

Cheers,
Rob

Rob, first, welcome aboard. it's a great place to hang your hat.

i can't say i've ever heard anyone talk about shooting them. many use the a-max with great results but this bullet seems to be a hollow point type match bullet without the tip. i saw them this summer when working with the 250SMK, but already had too much invested in testing and not enough time to test other bullets for hunting season. i might try some if the Bergers don't come out in time for next year. shoot some and let us know how they shoot and what the BC is.

New 250 gr Match

It appears that hornady has redesigned their 250 gr match, as the previous 250 gr match bullet had a super low BC and the new one is not yet available. I am looking forward to trying the new version.

The BC is comparable to the Lapua Scenar, and hopefully is will open up on game. This could be a great bullet. Lets cross our fingers.

Oh BTW, the list price is $43 per 50, ouch!!!

I'm building a rifle for a buddy so I won't be able to work with many different bullets. I was planning on trying the 225 AB first, 250 GK second, until I saw such a hi bc for the Hornady match. Give the somewhat surprising success many are having with the 300MK, I thought maybe someone tried the Hornady match on some game.

I'll send Hornady an email and see what they say about the bc.

Cheers,
Rob

Rob, This is a newly designed bullet and the BC is set at .675. Still against the G1 model. Have a great day

That was the reply. I had noted the stock # didn't change so wasn't sure if they had a new bullet or not. Looks like they do.

Now this begs the question, how do we know which style is in the box? If I phone a supplier and ask for some #33361, how do I know what I'm going to get?

I think I'll just get the Lapuas :D

Cheers,
Rob

if you're just punching paper, the Lapua's are great. but if you're going to hunt, i wouldn't use the Lapua's unless you're gonna shoot tanks or something with a bunch of armor! they're one tuff SOB.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.