Hornady 308 Match brass

Have you tried more than one brand of primers? I have found that Fed primer seem to be a thousands or so larger than other brands.

I got a bunch of the Hornady once fired from the local police snipers and found that a lot of them had crimped in primers. Hornady said it was so they could shoot them in their gas guns also. I have found that the Hornady 308 match brass has inconsistant neck thickness. I had to bushing size and then neck ream them to get them to shoot with any decent accuracy.
Tarey

yes one has said it.there are some that you will find that the primers have been crimped in.ask this about a week or so ago at another site.and one of the Hornady guys said that they are crimping the superformance loads in.the reason was from the new loads had primers falling out when it first came out.( after being fired )so to fix it they went to crimping.but not hard to fix.all you should need to do is to just chamfer the primer pocket really good.

yes the match brass from their match ammo sucks strait up, primers are crimped, CCI BR2s will not go easy either, i only loaded the ones i had once because they were soft and crappy anyway, but i used a regular chamfering tool to knock the sharp rdge off, then uniformed the pockets, if it were me i'd just scrap it.

I argee about almost scrapping them, BUT, I got over 600 of them for free.
I even called Hornady and asked them about all the different headstamps and the difference in neck thickness. He told me they should all be the same except sometimes they change the headstamp during the run if it gets worn down. I told him if I had paid for all of these I WOULD be sending them back.
Tarey

Well for future use brassmanbrass.com usually has lake city or imi once fired military without the
Crimp and they are like 129.95 shipped for 1000 pieces I believe or it may only be 500 but its good brass, I use it for 243, 260, and 308. Its basically federal match brass just doesn't have any numbers on the headstamp.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.