Hornady 30 cal 208g

ewallace

I had a fellow varmint hunter passing by my house today so we headed out to the hay fields with one of my 1000 yard rifles chambered in 30 Nawakwa. I had some loads worked up for my next 1000 yard match with some hornady 208g AMAX bullets and was curies how they would work on chucks. We loaded up and headed to a field that was cut recently and immediately saw a chuck feeding on the edge of the field. Jeff lined the chuck up with a big rock for a back stop and pulled the trigger here are the results.

425399-big.jpg
425400-big.jpg

CrowMag,

We need more details then that!!!

Let us have the dirt!!

What are the specs on your 1K rifle. Looks like one rigid little monster.

Kirby Allen(50)

Broughton 21 1/2" barrel 10t 1.400 5r 30 cal.
Cartridge is a 338 lapua imp necked to 30 35° shoulder min taper
Stock is a Baer
Scope is a 20x50 LRT

I am going to try this short barrel in a different stock HG with a block to see
how it will shoot compared to a 30" barrel just experimenting.
There will be about 10" of barrel sticking out of the block
This is the HG stock it will be going in when I get a block.

404346.jpg

pic of the cartridge for comparison with other

425475-big.jpg

300win
<font color="red"> Thats right experimental bullets </font> /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Crow Mag,

Thanks for the specs.

I would be very interested in yoru findings comparing the conventional bedding to the bedding block system and if it makes any difference with that short barrel. Hope you report your findings when the test is over.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

I knew those suckers would be explosive!!! I've got some but just can't get my 300 RUM to shoot bullets of this class. I've tried them and the 210 WC and neither will do worth a darn. Maybe just that length of bullet doesn't agree w/my rifle??

I will keep you up to date with my findings I will be putting it in a 9" torque block so I can move the barrel from one rifle to the other with out to much work. I think it will shoot better in the HG stock because it tracks better and is #35 heaver. We will see /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bill
I would think your barrel would shoot the 210g class good what bullets will it shoot?

I know. It seems strange to me as well.

A year or so ago, Richard sent me some 210 gr bullets that had a straight taper nose profile on them. Those things shot lights out but the BC on them was pretty low. I then got some of his ULD RBBT 210s and could not get them to do much better than 1 MOA. Same w/the 208 gr AMax. Seems maybe that length of bullet just doesn't agree w/this bbl.

It shoots the 240 SMK @ about .25 MOA out to 500 yds or so. That is as far as I've tested it. I shot @ that steel plate Lerch posted pics of 2 times @ 650 yds and they were about 1" apart. I was shooting it @ 2850 fps w/Retumbo but it looks like US869 is going to give me 3075-3100 fps w/the same .25 MOA accuracy.

208g amax? I was thinking the same thing. So whats the deal with those? Will us normal people ever be getting to put those downrange. I always thought hornady shoulda came out with a higher weight amax then a 178g for 308 cal. Looks like they might????

208g amax? I was thinking the same thing. So whats the deal with those? Will us normal people ever be getting to put those downrange. I always thought hornady shoulda came out with a higher weight amax then a 178g for 308 cal. Looks like they might????

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.