Hornady 30 cal 208 gr A-max & 300 Wby?

Chopaka81

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone has some reload info on the combo of a Hornady 208 gr A-max in the 300 Wby.

Perhaps something is listed in the current Hornady Manual.

Looking at IMR-7828, H1000, or H4831 Powders. However suggestions using different powders most welcome.

I am also interested in any range/field reports regarding the Hornady 30 cal 208 gr A-max - i.e. is it an accurate bullet?

Thanks, Don

I am in the process of developing a load for this bullet/cartridge right now.

I have a Mark V and am using 4831SC, which this rifle seems to prefer. I think if I can correct some of my sorry bench technique, this will be quite a combination.

The last load I tested was 76.5 grs of 4831SC and the bullet loaded to 3.650" OAL, which is rubbing the front of the magazine.
76.8 is supposed to be max according to Sierra, but they did their development in a Savage, and both my Lyman and Hornady manuals list significantly heavier charges.

Ben

76.8 is supposed to be max according to Sierra, but they did their development in a Savage, and both my Lyman and Hornady manuals list significantly heavier charges.

Ben

There are those who will get their shorts in a knot over what I am going to tell you, but this is the technique I have used for many years in developing MAX loads.
I use a 1.0" micrometer capable of measuring to .0001" accurately - with an emphasis on accurately.
Noting the local temperature (matching that to those encountered during hunting conditions) I increase the powder charge until I measure 0.001" case head expansion. At that point I declare that to be the MAX load for that rifle/reload combo. I then reduce the powder charge 1.0grs and use that as my hunting load. Case life is not long when you use this approach, I have had limited success in extending case life by annealing the brass.
I will give you a far warning - this practice is largely opposed by many "Average Joe" reloaders.
I guess what I am trying to say here is, closely monitor the case head expansion of your brass as you approach the powders charges listed in the "other reloading manuals."

I am also interested in any range/field reports regarding the Hornady 30 cal 208 gr A-max - i.e. is it an accurate bullet?

Thanks, Don

My rig will shoot them .25 MOA concistently. This is my "up to" mule deer size critter load. It is a very accurate bullet provided you load them properly and have sufficient twist and velocity to stabilize them. IMHO 11.25-11x is about optimum, tighter will work but is not needed. 12x will give you trouble.

I shoot 80.0 of 7828 with Berger 210's in my 300. IMO 4831 is way too fast for a 200+ gr. bullet in a 300 Wby.

Any of these will probably give much better results.

Retumbo
H1000
RE25

my brother and i have factory savage heavy barrelled rifles in 300win mag. close to your 300 weatherby. we shoot them with imr 7828. we have shot them into 3" 3 shot groups at 550 yards. i have been trying out retumbo. very promising so far. we have our bullets in the lands a few thousandths. my brother shot a 8 point whitetail at 560 yards 2 years ago. the bullet impacted 2/3 up on the buck in the lungs. never took a step.when skinned the bullet left a coke can diameter exit hole. i like them. jason

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts