Hornady’s New ELD-X Bullets

Wild Rose what did they say about the "bubble" you saw?
He said they aren't intentionally putting a bubble in the stem but it's possible that one just happened to show up in one/some of the stills and video as bubbles can occur with any injection molded polymer.

I was right about the air gap and cavity below the stem into the lead core.

This allows for the tip to push straight back starting the expansion at the tip on contact.

A bulbous section in the stem of the plastic tip would make tip insertion and assembly overly complicated - I would think. Every tip I've ever seen had a straight or tapered stem. No section of the stem below the base of the stem is ever larger in diameter than the base of the stem.
Agree, that's not what I was seeing. Apparently in one of the tips they filmed it just looks like an air bubble in the stem or they found the one in a million that actually had a small air pocket.

Agree, that's not what I was seeing. Apparently in one of the tips they filmed it just looks like an air bubble in the stem or they found the one in a million that actually had a small air pocket.

Ah. Sorry for my misunderstanding.

The bubble is a controlled but unintentional side effect of the extreme high pressure and heat necessary to injection mold this polymer.

This does not effect performance of the tip.

Sir did Hornady mention what the minimum impact velocity was for proper expansion on the new bullet. I have tried looking at their web page but couldn't find any info.

Hornady's initial desire was to produce a bullet that would perform at all distances. Velocity would depend on the cartridge. I do not know where 1600fps comes from but that might be correct. I imagine it would depend on the weight of the bullet.

Does anyboy have an idea when these will become available in Canada? My 300rum is dying to try these. Thanks

Sorry my neighbor to the north, the bullet should hit the shelves here in January. Hornady did not even tell retailers, sales, distributors about the line till Oct. 27th. It was all kept secret. They have run several batches of particular bullets and will be getting them out soon. I have some on order myself. I took one bullet home with me from the factory.

Ask your normal retailer and they should be able to find out when they will get the bullets.

Has anybody tried the 162 grain ELD-X 7mm bullets... Live up in Alaska and have seen the Match bullets but no X hunting bullets. Would really like to try them. Thanks for any replies or info on who has some.

Has anybody tried the 162 grain ELD-X 7mm bullets... Live up in Alaska and have seen the Match bullets but no X hunting bullets. Would really like to try them. Thanks for any replies or info on who has some.

Recently drove down to TX from MN. And stopped by numerous reloading stores on the way and did see some 7mm 162 gr. ELD- match bullets but not a single box of eld-x's.

Hornady is making them as fast as they can. Seems the ELD X is more demand. I have some coming today for an article that will be out this summer. I suggest you put some on backorder with Midway. I expressed you, the readers, frustration with obtaining ELD bullets to the marketing director just a few days ago.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.