Horn Hunting/ What to do w/sheds?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by nitrousmudbogger, Mar 11, 2011.

1. nitrousmudbogger

nitrousmudbogger Well-Known Member

We go horn hunting every year and are getting quite a pile of sheds which is awesome and we got permission this year to go on a huge ranch that will have tons. My question is do you guys have any ideas of things to do with the sheds. I dont like selling them just collecting. Furniture ideas or useful things to do with them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Russ Hatch

Russ Hatch Well-Known Member

I make buttons, and knife handles out of them. Some folks drill them out and make coyote calls from them. Ive also made display hoders from them by cutting groves in them.

3. ICANHITHIMMAN

ICANHITHIMMAN Well-Known Member

I know you said you dont like selling thm but why? do you see the price you can get for them? thats alot of supplemental income for your family.

4. nitrousmudbogger

nitrousmudbogger Well-Known Member

Why what are people getting for sheds? The pics of them on the back of the truck is only one outing. We easily found 20+ sheds last year. To me they kind of have a sentimental value like if I shot it. The whitetail shed here is the biggest Ive ever seen (my fiance found it on a ranch she worked on) and the muley shed is probably a 160-170 inch deer
    [​IMG]

5. Russ Hatch

Russ Hatch Well-Known Member

6. sp6x6

sp6x6 Well-Known Member

A guy I know is up to about 70 drops already thisyear. I have only been out twice= zero. I am having trouble w/picts. But I made pedestals for 2 of my whitetail mounts, one is a pyramid of three 7 pt. elk horns.I have made lights and a gun rack w/ elk sheds and mirror behind it in a hardwood frame. I made drawers w/ horn pulls,towel bars,etc.A local very skilled saddle maker used to use a large elk button as a horn, and custom tooling. He now smiths custom rifles .My best day 7 elk,7 muley drops.