Horizontal grouping

Chuck Boyer

I finally got my sporterized mauser in 6.5 Swede. The gun is fiited in a Ramline medalist stock. Remington factory ammo did not shoot well and had a light firing pin strike on the primer. Four of the factory rounds misfired. The other once fired brass was neck sized just barely bumping the shoulder. The reloaded rounds fired with no problem but groups were much wider than tall. I was using 4350, RL-17, and RL-22. I decided to try a faster powder(4895)and groups shrank in half and were more uniform. Groups with the slow powders were in the 3" range while about 1"with the 4895. I have tried 120 A-Max, 129 Interlocks, and 130 Accubonds with the nod going to the A-Max. What gives with the horizontal groups? Bedding maybe? I would like to use the slower powders so I can realize the velocity potential of the heavier bullets.

I read an article in either Field & Stream, or Outdoor Life, or North American Hunter, in August 2008 at the Las Vegas airport, while waiting to go on my bear hunt. It talked all about what causes Horizontal spread, Verticle spread and so on. Maybe you could search it.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.