homer Alaska checking in!

spdcrazy

lots have changed since i've been on last, including but not limited too,

moving to alaska.

now i'm serious about playing more with my 300wsm. haven't even really gotten comfortable with the millet scope yet.

just seeing if there is anyone in my neck of the woods. search didn't find anyone up here? i find that hard to believe

closer! lol. there is a few ppl up here i found on the map. but one guy hasn't been active in a while. guess he had a big coyote population near him, am/was excited to get in on that

theres a few! Russian mission, any good shooting spots over there ?

palmer you get south often? where ya do your shooting?

I don't get to the end of the road very often but do get onto the Peninsula a lot in summer. I shoot mostly right here in the yard but also Mat-Su Sportsman's indoor, Birchwood, JBER and some places in the woods I don't talk about on the web.

i gotcha. i'm busy on the boats most of the summer month's. but finding a place closer than kenai's snoeshoe seems to be difficult..

homer needs a range, or maybe i just need to find the right friends :)

Hey,
There are a few good and safe shooting areas around Russian Mission. These places are accessable by a skiff during the summer months, and by snowmachine during the winter months...good 500+ yards. A question for the alaskans..."what is your favorite caliber and why?"

right on! I'm an AZ transplant so don't consider me Alaskan, but my elk rifle was a .300wm. not wsm like i put in the orig post.

plan on reloading some 180gr. and some 220gr this winter

I've killed everything I hunt here with a 45 Colt, then went to a 460 Smith, haven't rifle hunted in years and years. But I'm a gunsmith and can tell ya 338 is the most common now, used to be 300WM or 300Wtby but everybody want's a 338 now. 30-06, 303, 308 or something like is really all a guy "needs" here but what fun is that, don't tell my wife I said that ether! Now if I was to take a rifle back out it would be 7mmRUM for way long shots on goat and sheep.gun)

BTW I grew up near Chino Valley Arizona then spent way too long cooking to death in Glendale. Palmer since 2001 and never looked back!

wow Chino valley! i spent allot of time north of there building the cement plant. lived in prescott valley. great yote hunting there!

i need to shoot a 7mm rum. need to build a rifle in the next few years..

My second son finally shot my 300 Win. Mag. today. For years he used a 45-70, so far he bagged two moose in the past...now he has taken a taste of long range hunting...gun) I hope i am able to hang on to my 300.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.