Homemade Zerostops

I think the set screw would work if used with a thin washer to keep the screw from directly contacting the internal turret guts.

Very interesting thread, I've got to do this to a scope of mine also. I was planning on shimming it like the Vortex with the shims, I though it should be easy to make a few full rev. shims then a three 1/4 rev shims.

Here is a picture of the one on my .17hmr if your wondering why the funny engraving on the turret thats how we had to do it since had to be in such cmall incremints being a rim fire. BUT i can kill a prarie dog at 250 yards fairly easily. Anyhow if you look at the bottom you can see my blurry zero stop. you can see a line on it that I use as my dialing reference line. and to the left you can see a shiney round spot that is one of the 3 set screws. I have had zero problems with them marring the scope but im pretty carefull with it. the screws arent very big so you cant put a bunch of torque on them but they work nicely and are pretty cheap too. if anyone wants some i think they were like 20 bucks a piece. let me know and I can get one and mail it to you. I think its a pretty good option.

2011-04-20212428.jpg

Tikkamike, that looks great. I got mine done with the brass washer this morning and it turned out suprisingly well. I still think the way you did it is a safer way. I'll try that next.

002.jpg

Here's the washer I set atop the turret.

003-2.jpg

I tried it first then disasembled it several times, sanded it on some 600 grit wet/dry with some Kroil until it just passed my zero mark. It just happened to come out to .090. The Nightforce on my 6mm AI has a 0 MOA picatinny rail on it so it will need a thicker washer to make it work. We'll see.

001.jpg

Here's how it turned out. About 1.5 clicks past zero. I wish I would have waited on drilling and tapping the setscrew.

One thing I have to say while goofing around with this project, Nightforce scopes are VERY-WELL made. I'm impressed with the machining and tight tolorances in these scopes. I kinda wish I had never looked through a quality scope like these. Ignorance was so bliss...and cheaper.

Last edited:
I'll need one like tikkamike's for the Zeiss and one like LRSickle's for the NXS

LR, does a fella want to have the zero exactly at zero for counting clicks?

When I'm in the shooting position I need my glasses to see the marks. Both scopes have good click feel. Counting is fine. Also, when at my hides the turrets are preset to the general distance then finalized just before the shot is made.

LRSickle, Now cant you just fine tune with the allen? A allen would work on mine as it seats againts steel, Mark4, vs. your NF

I'll need one like tikkamike's for the Zeiss and one like LRSickle's for the NXS

LR, does a fella want to have the zero exactly at zero for counting clicks? I think it would be better if it seated solidly at zero, but like what paphil said, your actually creating a jack screw so any time I can avoid hitting the zerostop the less chances of messing up the threads. I don't get too zelious while turning my turrets so I won't worry a lot about it.

When I'm in the shooting position I need my glasses to see the marks. Both scopes have good click feel. Counting is fine. Also, when at my hides the turrets are preset to the general distance then finalized just before the shot is made. That's what I do too. But when we shoot during a competition I'm up/down a lot and I have to admit, I forget where the heck I am sometimes.[/QUOTE]
I know I need glasses. :rolleyes:

I started messing with different bullets, so I added the allen screw 10/32 on mine. Was able to tune right to zero. I am waiting to lock tight until I done with load work.Left my washer in.

Well now you went and done it. I was happy with my little tape job until I started reading this and figured out that my tape job sucked and I could do much better.

I found some 3/4" copper tubing and sweated a coupling to it to inlarge the ID. Then I turned the ID to the proper size, finished up the OD and cut it to size.

I wish my photo skills were better but I think you can get the idea.

zerostop002.jpg

zerostop003.jpg

zerostop004.jpg

zerostop005.jpg

Keep it coming guys I am soaking it up like a sponge. The different ideas and how you are working together is great. To come up with a cheap good stop for your scopes. Just keep up the great work guys! Thanks! :D gun)

I am back to load work and trying to get set for spring bear, been running mine out past 1000 and back daily, it settled at about .1 mil under zero, leaving it, working with285 and 300 shooting close on drops out to 1000.

Jerrschmitt, Looks good even with the blurry pics. I bet you come up with the same results I did. Good work.

Lisa and I just got back from Wyomying shooting praire dogs and verifying drops for her .243 and 6.5x284 and my Edge and 6mm AI. The zero stop worked great on my edge. I have so many scopes with the micrometer marks of the turret tower that I forget which line on which scope is zero. I need to outfit my other scopes now.

By the way, Lisa cranked an 18" rock with my 338 from 1248 yards and another from 1234 yards. :D I was so proud! And she shot more p-dogs than I did this trip.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts