Homemade Zerostops

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by LRSickle, Apr 19, 2011.

1. LRSickle

LRSickle Well-Known Member

I just got done reading the Huskemaw thread of TikkaMike's (holy cow). Anyway, it was brought up that Huskemaw has a zerostop. So I got to thinkin', Has anyone made their own zerostop? Let's see them. I have access to some pretty good equiptment so I bet I could whip me some up.

2. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

Unlike you, I have access to some pretty crappy equipment. My attempt at a zero stop was quite unsuccessful.

Maybe I need to actually see a Zero Stop and how it works.:)

3. LRSickle

I was thinking that maybe some kind of ring that fits on the turret post below the turret. Maybe something two-piece like a locking collar.

4. Tikkamike

Tikkamike Well-Known Member

I have gunsmith made zero stops on my leupolds. I will take some pictures if you like they are a ring that goes under the knob and has tiny allen set screws. they are very inexpensive.

5. LRSickle

Thanks Mike. That sounds like exactly what i need. Post some pictures and I'll see if I can whip up a few for my Nightforces.

6. LRSickle

I also thought about putting a piece of white tape below the turret and wind the turret down to the tape. Maybe?

7. LRSickle

I'm thinkin' that new-fangled Italian Screw Machine ought to be able to whip out some pretty cool parts!

8. Tikkamike

LR,

Your having a whole conversation on this thread all by yourself it looks like haha. I can see the creative wheels turning in your head... I wish I had some cool tools/know how to make stuff... I will get a picture and post it for you.

9. paphil

paphil Well-Known Member

I had a couple of turrets made by Kenton for Leupold scopes and they had a set screw on top of the turret that you tightened down when set at 6-8 clicks below your 100 yard zero. They were prone to vibrate loose untill I painted them with nail polish but it was simple and they work quite well. The screw bottoms out on the top of the turret when turned all the way down and does not interfer with anything when the turret is turned up. would work on any knob that has enough room on top end to drill and tap a hole.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2011
  10. sp6x6

sp6x6 Well-Known Member

Good idea, I just made a zero stop for my mark 4, I got lucky and found a washer that was just right after I pounded it and redrilled center for post. Guestion, my vari 3 does'nt seem to climb the post as you dial up? How would you zero stop that set up?

11. Outlaw6.0

Outlaw6.0 Well-Known Member

Mike! Help a brother out! I have a stable full of leupys that I would LOVE to have zero stops on... will they work on my MK4?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  12. LRSickle

Ok, that looks like a better idea than what I was thinking of. I was going to make some kind of ring that sat below the turret. I think I have to take the turrets off my Nightforces and see what I can do.

13. Tikkamike

paphil, your rifle is canted to the left a little:D

14. paphil

paphil Well-Known Member

The rifle is straight, the picnic table it's on is leaning!