Home made "exploding" targets?

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by trophyhusband, Dec 31, 2013.

1. trophyhusband

trophyhusband Well-Known Member

And by "exploding", I mean something that gives a good visual when hit, not an incendiary device.

What gives a good visual when hit from long range? I know that a shaken can of cheap soda gives the effect that I'm looking for at close range, but what about a 2 liter bottle? From a long range the effect of shaking it would go away by the time the shot was placed but would it still blow? Has anyone tried baby powder or corn starch in a ballon? Any other ideas?

2. Diamondt

Diamondt Member

It is said Roy Weatherby used to shoot 5 gallon (metal) cans filled with water to demonstrate the effective shock of his 300 magnum cartridge-- I have done this and it is very entertaining.
    I have a target made from a piece of 1.5" plate, 48" across, with a 13.5" hole in the center; welded some small angle iron in a "V" pattern on the lower rear of the center hole, and place damaged 16" or 18" floor tiles sourced from Home depot in them. Paint the back of the tile red, the steel portion gets a new coat of white every few months, and the tile explodes on impact. Not quite as dramatic, but no doubt if you hit the tile center of the target.

3. Browninglover1

Browninglover1 Well-Known Member

I've shot 20 oz soda bottles at 600 yards with my 22-250 and they blew up nice. I think you could mix very weak dry ice bombs to ensure the bottle stays pressurized.

4. C.O. Shooter

C.O. Shooter Well-Known Member

How about cans of spray paint!

5. Browninglover1

Browninglover1 Well-Known Member

I forgot to mention whip cream cans too!

6. Farmer Rob

Farmer Rob Active Member

+1 for paint cans

7. trophyhusband

I'll have to give that a try.

8. trophyhusband

That reminds me of one time in high school my friends and I were shooting off our front porch. I threw a spray paint can out in the yard and my mom says, "don't shoot that, it will blow up." I just looked at her and she then said, "oh, I guess that's the point".

If I were shooting on my property I may not mind shooting a paint can, but somehow I don't feel right about blowing up a can of paint on the property I shoot on. Although I bet a red can would make a good visual against a snowbank.

9. trophyhusband

I can bring myself to waste whip cream like that. Next thing you know someone will suggest I shoot a can of beer.

10. sniperjwt

sniperjwt Well-Known Member

A jug of water does pretty good at 800 with my 260AI

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x7M7JtOcpMw[/ame]

11. jaydeclan

jaydeclan New Member

Never tried these before, as it is really frightful but hope to try it these time.

12. trophyhusband

Those are really hard to see.:D

13. SidecarFlip

SidecarFlip Well-Known Member

Being a closet pyro, I like to toss enmpty aersol vcans in the burn barrel (we don't burn garbage here, can't stand the smell anyway) and let them explode. Been through a few barrels doing that. Some really go off, others go ....phooooooof.

I tried an empty propane cylinder (hand torch) but it went pfoooooooof. Was hoping for a big thump.

I know it's dangerous and the shrapnel issue is there. I don't stay close, in fact the burn barrel is an acre from any dwelling.

Sometimes, it's tough being a pyro.

14. 300whisper

300whisper Well-Known Member

I know it's not exploding but I heard bowling pins were always exciting to shoot and they hold up pretty well.