home made barrel vise

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Gitthatdawg, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Gitthatdawg

Gitthatdawg Active Member

was wondering if you had a barrel vise how far the bolys were apart i am using 1"x3" flat. Just wondering how far the bolts were spaced. incase i need to buy alumin. blocks​

2. shortgrass

shortgrass Well-Known Member

I don't think there are any two home made barrel vices that are alike.

3. Gitthatdawg

yea i was thinking of some of the store bought kind or if someone has a homemade one that works well.

4. lazylabs

lazylabs Well-Known Member

mine are 1" acme bolts 6" center to center using 2x3 steel. I use 1.5x3" aluminum blocks with various diameters to fit the barrel profiles.

5. Gitthatdawg

you are using 2" thick steel? Do you think the 1" steel would be to light? my bolts are 1" like the ones used for connecting power line or telephone strand (being a telephoneman) i know they will hold. i will be just using this for savage barrel swaps.

6. shortgrass

You shouldn't need much to hold barrels for Savages. Look in to those that are two opposing 45 deg. V-Blocks. A simple action wrench & the nut wrench, along with gauges, would make for a quick and simple barrel change.

7. geargrinder

geargrinder Well-Known Member

If you're just changing Savage barrels skip the barrel vise. Just use a Wheeler Action wrench and a nut wrench.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  8. Gitthatdawg

yes thats is what i have been told i have all the stuff and it gives me something to do. i am ordering the nut wrench and action wrench.

9. shortgrass

I don't do much Savage work, just not my 'cup of tea'. I have c/o barrels for several customers though, and found the barrel vice an asset, no fumbling. If you 're just doing a few or for yourself you don't need the barrel vice. A good bench vice w/jaw pads would work, too. Had one barrel nut so tight I was glad I had the barrel vice.

10. Gitthatdawg

It helps for other things than just removing barrels. thanks so much for the info. it is nice to here from people who work on guns. i would post pics if i knew how. I will have about $5 in the vise not counting time but i am pretty useless so time is not worth much.

11. lazylabs

lazylabs Well-Known Member

I used 2" because I bored holes for the acme threaded nuts in the bottom piece. 1" should be enough I also just used what pieces of scrap I had around.

12. Gitthatdawg

thanks i am cutting the ends off the bolts and welding the bolts in. This will give me a flat base for mouning

13. Fitch

Fitch Well-Known Member

I made this one a couple of years ago:

[​IMG]

The barrel in it is for my savage 112BVSS 7mag. I originally planned to bolt it to the bench but clamping it to the mill table works great.

I machine aluminum inserts from chunks of 1-1/2" Al rod to fit the barrel of the rifle I'm working on and save them. Over time I'll have a set of the ones I need.

I've used it to work on Savages, Remingtons, Mausers, Winchesters, and Springfields. Works just fine. The clamp bolts are 1/2-20 Grade 8 bolts. I torque them lubed to 90 ft-lbs. No problem with slippage so far.

fitch

14. Gitthatdawg

i have mine built now i am going to use hardwood does the aluminum mess the finish up? I have a couple of blocks that i was thinking of boring diff holes in but i am realy only going to work on savage maybe remington of course i was just going to start reloading to help with accuracy and look what it has led me to. Thanks