Holland QD brake video - 200 gr. @ 3300fps

Discussion in 'Holland Guns Video Content' started by ss7mm, Feb 9, 2008.

1. ss7mm

ss7mm Writers Guild

There are always questions about brakes and how well they work. I've also noted some comparisons posted lately. I had forgotten that I had this little clip. It's a 7mm Am, 200 gr. Wildcat at 3300 fps and the brake is a Holland QD. Kirby or Shawn's brakes would be as good and probably better than this brake's recoil reduction.

As soon as the weather gets a little better I'll do another of the same setup but with and without the brake for comparison.
    YouTube - Shooting 7mm Allen Magnum w/Holland QD brake

2. Texote

Texote Well-Known Member

With your brake do they need to be tuned by a gunsmith? I know tuned is not the correct term, but it escapes me at the moment.

I am collecting parts for a 338 edge build and trying to decide on a brake.

3. jarheadhunter

jarheadhunter Well-Known Member

No tuning really needed. Installing is a different story. I just sent my barrel into Hollands and had them put the brake on. They did a great job and matched the color of my barrel to the brake. You could just order it from them and take it to just about any gun smith and have them install it though.

4. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

It need to be timed/indexed but no tuning required as jarheadhunter noted. I have the QD in one of my .300 Win Mag and the felt recoil is similar to .243's.

[​IMG]

I don't have the latest generation design (radial baffle) but it's supposed to be more effective than the QD.

[​IMG]

Good luck!

5. jarheadhunter

jarheadhunter Well-Known Member

I have the Radial Baffle and can't compare because I haven't used the other. I would say my 300 Win Mag. kicks about like a 243 as well.

6. Jaxdialation

Jaxdialation Well-Known Member

I think we'd get a better feel for the brakes function/benefit if we saw a before and after video.

Does Holland provide spacers for the install timing?

7. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

Not the best video but shows what you're looking for ...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cI-xGYkLOc4"]Testing APS Pain Killer muzzle brake - YouTube[/ame]

Unless it has changed, no it does not come with any washer.