Holland Long Range Shooting School - Bolt Manipulation

Notice how he blinks, just as he dry fires.
Not there when he uses real ammo though.

Some good points to remember.

I was fortunate enough to recieve some shooting lessions from Gunny Sgt. Hathcock (the famous Viet Nam sniper) at a Navy match shoot. He demonstrated the rapid fire bolt technique just like above. Over the years I have incorporated this into my hunting and always use the technique when practice shooting, even on the bench. I have managed to double up on several deer and other game over the years. Once a buck was chasing a doe. I shot the doe in the neck and she droped in a heap. The buck came running up behind and sniffed her butt. Before he had a chance to figure out the gig was up he too had a round through the neck. Both deer were stacked on top of each other.
Because this technique forces you to keep your eyes on the target before, during and after the shot it forces you to focus on the target which greatly helps keep you focused improving your shooting technique.

Well I'm sure if I videod myself, I'm neither as fast or smooth a him but I do keep my head on the stock and maintain sight picture...I guess just a habit I developed as it's a PITA to get my scope back on my paper target at the range once you move out of position. Good informative video.

i first watched this movie a few months ago and after practicing what Mr.Holland said i feel like i am more apart of the firearm than ever before
oh if only i had the $ to participate in one of his classes i think i would be able to learn a lot
thank you for your instructional videos

Gentlemen,

Thank you for the kind words regarding our bolt manipulation skills on the LRH video clip. These skills are important to all shooters especially long range marksmen. We can develope bad habits that are carried to the field resulting wounded or lost game.

Listed below is our training tip #206.

Practice 25 dry fires a day with perfect bolt manipulation and in a month or so you will be amazed at your improved proficiency. Don't get in a big hurry when doing these drills, perfect form is first and they we can add a little speed once the technique is burned on our hard drive. Its a great way to start the day keeping you motivated while at work.

Best of luck to you all and keep that "Powder" burning.

Thanks Len for making our video clip available to all the members,

Respectfully,

Darrell Holland

Thanks for the video Darrell!! I've been dry firing and working on the bolt movements for a couple weeks and I've seen a big benifit when at the range. My trigger and shot control has improved along with bolt manipulation just from the dry firing and having a more defined method. I do need to get the bolt lift a little lighter on my Savage though.
Thanks again!

This is such a good point to emphasize. It is the weekend and I have relaxed out of the Texas heat by watching some huntiing shows. It amazes me how many guys shoot and don't work the bolt while they are in recoil. Are they ignorant of hydrostatic shock stunning game's nervous system...momentarily? Staying in the gun ready to double tap has saved many animals from; unnecessary pain, increased my organic meat menu by not having to wait till the next day to find spoiled animals, saved me very expensive lost trophy fees in Africa and possibly prevented mauling on the dangerous game safaris. I WILL TAKE ONE OF Darrell Holland's courses and finance it by selling one of those rifles just setting in there waiting to be stolen! Thanks for sharing Mr. Holland.

Thank you sir, I too look forward to shooting with you one day,

Until then, be safe in your travels.

Most respectfully,

Darrell Holland

Hi Darrell,

I first watched this video about nine or so months ago and have 'modified' my position and technique to what you have suggested.

Outcome: Much smoother and slicker type movement now with the added benifit of not raising my head but continue to focus on the target/reticle.:)

I believe I have improved a good 80% from where I was before.

So, a very BIG thankyougun)

You really know when things are improving when others comment on what they see you doing in a very positive/impressed way.

Cheers, CentreHit.

Thank you sir, I too look forward to shooting with you one day,

Until then, be safe in your travels.

Most respectfully,

Darrell Holland

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.