Hogs on rimfire only WMA

Federal Game Shock 50gr JHP will get the job done. I've killed several with a pistol and that ammo at 30-50yds.

Pick a spot two inches below the opening of the ear then back half way on the neck, or mid way between a horizontal line between the eyes and the point of the skull.

I like the positive remarks I read here. That said, has anybody else but myself noticed the other remarks always tend to be so contrary? If you want to score with a .17 HMR, the posts suggest a no win must have a .22 WRM. If you have a .243 you must have a 30.06. If you have a 300 Win Mag, you must have a 338 Lapua. Me thinks those rocking chair hunters couldn't kill anything with an RPG! I don't think there is a mammal in America I can't kill with a .17 HMR in the eyeball at fifty feet. And please don't tell me I can't do that cause I can shoot the eye out of sparrow at 100 YDs. Thanks for enduring my first rant. gun)

I hunt a WMA close to my house that has loads of hogs on it but its rimfire only. I have a 17 hmr and 22 lr but im about to buy a 22 mag to hunt these hogs. Looking for the best possible bullet in 22 mag to hunt them with and have found 50 grain bullets but if i recall they were hollow points. Would these work or would i be better of with maxi mags in like 40 grain soft points or tmj

Unless they are very close range, I recommend you use the .17HMR. Me and my hunting pal use the 17g V-Max and 20g XTP Hornady's with equal success. Head shots always, right under the ear, and hogs to 150lbs so far. Never fail so far.
The .17HMR retains greater energy beyond 50yds than the .22Mag, and the .17 is much more accurate.

Unless they are very close range, I recommend you use the .17HMR. Me and my hunting pal use the 17g V-Max and 20g XTP Hornady's with equal success. Head shots always, right under the ear, and hogs to 150lbs so far. Never fail so far.
The .17HMR retains greater energy beyond 50yds than the .22Mag, and the .17 is much more accurate.
That is not accurate.

That is not accurate.
Why/How so? IMHO, the .17 HMR is more accurate at any range than the .22 WHR. I own both. So show me? I've taken a fair amount of game far in excess of 200 yds. Tell me I can do the same with any 22, including .223. I don't believe it, yes we shoot the .223 also, it does NOT group as tight as the seventeen at any range.

Why/How so? IMHO, the .17 HMR is more accurate at any range than the .22 WHR. I own both. So show me? I've taken a fair amount of game far in excess of 200 yds. Tell me I can do the same with any 22, including .223. I don't believe it, yes we shoot the .223 also, it does NOT group as tight as the seventeen at any range.
You are shooting bullets that have half the weight of the 22wm and no where close to the same energy as you increase the range.

You are also shooting much lower BC bullets which cannot be inherently more accurate than higher BC bullets.

If your .223's are not outperforming your little 17hmr you have substandard .223's at best.

You are shooting bullets that have half the weight of the 22wm and no where close to the same energy as you increase the range.

You are also shooting much lower BC bullets which cannot be inherently more accurate than higher BC bullets.

If your .223's are not outperforming your little 17hmr you have substandard .223's at best.
----------------------------
You would have to show me on paper that any .22 mag or .223 will shoot a tighter group at 100 yds than the worst .17 HMR. I won't argue at longer ranges those bullets don't have higher BC but it they can't be put in the ear, still useless. At 300 yds I don't think one could even hit a pig with a .22 mag let alone the ear. That said I agree at 300+ the .17 HMR won't stop the pig, BC to low at that range. Have I mentioned I like the seventeen? Grin

Your wrong partner, look it up. The .17 is proven to retain more energy at range. And energy is not just based on bullet weight, it's also a function of speed. The .17HMR has marginally more power at range, and is definitely flatter shooting and more accurate.

Your wrong partner, look it up. The .17 is proven to retain more energy at range. And energy is not just based on bullet weight, it's also a function of speed. The .17HMR has marginally more power at range, and is definitely flatter shooting and more accurate.
-------------------------------
+1 and 10-4

Muzzle velocity: 2550 fps
Velocity at 100 yards: 1915 fps
Muzzle energy: 245 ft/lbs
Energy at 100 yards: 138 ft/lbs
Uses: Small game, Varmits

Ammo .17 HMR CCI V-Max 17 Grain Polymer Tip Bullet 2550 fps 50 Rounds 0049

Ballistics Information:
Muzzle Velocity: 1530 fps
Muzzle Energy: 260 ft. lbs.
Federal Game-Shok Ammo 22 Winchester Mag Rimfire (WMR) 50 Grain

GP, I can hang with you comparing the 17 to a 22Mag but the 17 should not be mentioned in the same paragraph as the .223. The .223 can launch everything from a 40 grain V-max to a 90 grain Berger. It's accuracy potential is well documented and I doubt the 17 would have any appreciable advantage in this department.

I have killed many many hogs with a .223 and it don't require a caliper to measure how far from the ear, eye, etc to place the bullet. The Barnes TSX fired from a .223 at top velocities will penetrate a hog end to end. Most shoulder shots results in a bang flop reaction, I have killed more than a few DRT (Dead Right There) running away hit in the root of the tail.

The 17 Rem would be a closer comparison but even it can't hang with the .223 Rem as a hog slayer.

GP, I can hang with you comparing the 17 to a 22Mag but the 17 should not be mentioned in the same paragraph as the .223. The .223 can launch everything from a 40 grain V-max to a 90 grain Berger. It's accuracy potential is well documented and I doubt the 17 would have any appreciable advantage in this department.

I have killed many many hogs with a .223 and it don't require a caliper to measure how far from the ear, eye, etc to place the bullet. The Barnes TSX fired from a .223 at top velocities will penetrate a hog end to end. Most shoulder shots results in a bang flop reaction, I have killed more than a few DRT (Dead Right There) running away hit in the root of the tail.

The 17 Rem would be a closer comparison but even it can't hang with the .223 Rem as a hog slayer.
-----------------------
Perhaps you are right, let's strike center-fire from the discussion. That said I shot at a stray last night with one of my .223's and missed (again) at 69 yards. I certainly don't have much praise for the 1-9 barrels I have. I can't hit a beer can at 100yds to save my ***** with an AR15. With the .17 I can put it on any letter on said can. I'm sure doing something wrong. If this needs moved to .223 feel free........

Trust me, it's not the AR platform or the .223 Rd. both are capable of very nice accuracy. I have an AR .223 built by American Precision Arms that regularly shoots 5 shot groups in the .2s

Trust me, it's not the AR platform or the .223 Rd. both are capable of very nice accuracy. I have an AR .223 built by American Precision Arms that regularly shoots 5 shot groups in the .2s
-----------------------------------------------
OK despite my age I guess I'm lacking in education what is ".2S"?
And are you will ling to tell me your AR will shoot a tighter group at 100 yds. than my .17 HMR? :)
--------------------------------
Footnote: went out today with the Windham Machinery after I took off that dammed 3x scope and put on a Rimfire Prostaff. It was shooting 4.5" high at a 100, so gave it eight clicks down and I am on the pop cans at 100. Windage is dead center, got to figure out where I want strike at 100, but she's gettin close. That said I'm doubting it will ever group with a good seventeen, no wind.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.