Hogs in Oregon

Rupe

I keep hearing about hogs in Oregon, but I can't seem to find any info. on where to hunt them. If anyone out there knows where a guy could go to hunt one that would be great. Public land would be the cats meow. Thanks, Rupe

Howdy Rupe,

I like the handle. Had a dog named Rupe. Best border collie I ever had. He was a herdin' son of a gun.

Regarding Hogs in Oregon: Someone posted fairly recently about shooting hogs in north central oregon.

I've searched by butt off but can't find the post.

Sorry

Keep huntin'. You'll find them.

When you do, let me know ok;)

Flybuster,

Dang, That was one of the two that came up on my search but showed I hadn't prevously opened it. So I shrugged it off.

Am I dumb or what? Sometimes I get stuck in my own mind.:rolleyes:

Rupe, let me know where you find the hogs, not the link.:D

Thanks

royin idaho- if I find the hogs I'm going to shoot them. LOL You want me to tell you where my honey hole is? ya right! ha ha ha Just joking, be happy to let you know. I have several feelers out but no one seems to beable to find out anything. It's always stories about I heard from a friends friend etc. I have heard there are some in the Wagontire unit, but I don't know where I heard it. I've heard in the Klamath falls area as well as the applegate unit. Which that one I can believe being that it is bordering Calif. I would much rather hunt the East side of the Cascades. I love the high desert. Well maybe this thread will bring us some good info. about the big ugly critters. They are a concidered a preditory animal in Oregon and the government wants us to shoot them all. All you need is a hunting license and on private property you don't even need that.

Rupe,

I was told that there are a lot of hogs around Post, but that you need to talk to the locals and get permission from land owners. However, have also talked to a friend who is a retired Lane Co. deputy who still does volunteer work for the game dept. He said that their presence has been exaggerated considerably.

We were all ready to go hunting when he told us this. Now we don't want to take out a loan for gas to drive all the way over there just to find that it's true.

I know that they are in eastern oregon around Spray. The problem is they move constantly. They will come and destroy a dirt road after a rainstorm and then they are gone. I would love to get one but they are hard to find.

I was told by one of the locals from over around Silvies that they follow a cycle. He said that he and his brother will find a trail and sit and watch it everyday for a week or so. He said that they seem to come back around. He claims that his brother got 3 nice ones in one day.

hmmmmm....

They're very destructive, and the WA game department is always trying to catch folks releasing them into the state.

Oregon wouldn't be a far drive for a viable hunt.

Thank you Old_heli_logger, very interresting. There is alot of good reading in it. I have found a place to hunt them already. Of course it is private property. It is as if they only hide out on private property. They are smarter then they look. LOL

Hogs in Oregon

I keep hearing about hogs in Oregon, but I can't seem to find any info. on where to hunt them. If anyone out there knows where a guy could go to hunt one that would be great. Public land would be the cats meow. Thanks, Rupe

Since I don't live but 50 miles from Oregon and fish there often I thought I might poke around a little.

I have taken a moment to contact Oregon Fish and Wildlife. They provided me with a report on feral hogs in Oregon. The lady I spoke to informed me that while the state would like them all shot, most if not all of the populations are on private ground.

On the website for which I am providing a link, the last page identifies locations by county of feral hog populations.

http://egov.oregon.gov/OISC/docs/pdf/swine_ra.pdf

Copy the entire URL to your browser.

Hope this helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.