HOG killin in SO. GA.

Head shot

Been down south a few weeks helping a few guys with a mess of hogs.Aint never seen anything like it,they came in on a p-nut crop 2500 ac. & 1000 ac. of beans. never seen that kind of damage before,There was 4 of us shooting dusk & dark took 106 hogs & pigs before they wised up to us.Gave alot to the food bank & some to the locals.The heat was to much to bear,hope to go back when it cools down some. We were using 25-06,270's,300WM they all did a good job on hogs. DO any of Ya'll have hog problems this bad in your end of the woods. If so I sure would like to hear what Ya'll are doing on your end.
We're doin traps,dogs, shootin a lot. thanks GUYS.gun)

Johnnyk, I live up north GA, but was doin all the killing between Albany & seminole lake The worst was around the magnolia plantation.The people I was working for own thousands of acres in different plots.THey wanted us to stay but I couldnt take heat & stink, goin back when it cools off some.gun)
I fish flatheads down your way at Altamaha river park.

Last edited:
My buddy's family has had a lot of hogs on their place. When they looked into having folks come in with a helicopter they asked how many they typically kill on a helicopter hunt. The last two nights from the helicopter the least they had killed was in the mid 70's. For the rough, dry country we live in, that is a lot more than we expected. I can't imagine how many we'd have if we had peanut fields.

Russell Tabor
craftsman-construction.com

I love animals....they're delicious.

I know what you mean I cant imagine shooting at night or being able to use helicopters.I think when we go back we'll be able to shoot at night with a crop damage pass.couldnt even get a head count at night to many to much movement.caught 60 in traps,dogs got another dozen in 7 days.No end in sight.gun)

Well went back last week,I truly dont know how to help these folks stayed 6 days & nights shot 78 hogs between us caught 21 in traps & 9 more with dogs.But really cant tell that it helped We still seen pretty big numbers in the fields at night Guess we'll take a break go again.gun)

Head Shot, I am moving to Columbus Georgia next month. I picked up a Remington R-15 in .30 Rem AR for the sole purpose of hog hunting once I get there. I figured I would benefit from having a solid semi-auto platform and this 30 RAR really seems to be a thumper. I shot a 3-point muley with it last week and it dropped in its tracks with a double lung shot.

Sounds like you are actually doing this as a service?

Been down south a few weeks helping a few guys with a mess of hogs.Aint never seen anything like it,they came in on a p-nut crop 2500 ac. & 1000 ac. of beans. never seen that kind of damage before,There was 4 of us shooting dusk & dark took 106 hogs & pigs before they wised up to us.Gave alot to the food bank & some to the locals.The heat was to much to bear,hope to go back when it cools down some. We were using 25-06,270's,300WM they all did a good job on hogs. DO any of Ya'll have hog problems this bad in your end of the woods. If so I sure would like to hear what Ya'll are doing on your end.
We're doin traps,dogs, shootin a lot. thanks GUYS.gun)

Check these guy's, out I think they've got it down pat.
[ame="http://s842.photobucket.com/albums/zz344/hrt4me/?action=view&current=minigunonwildhogs.mp4"]minigunonwildhogs.mp4 video by hrt4me - Photobucket@@AMEPARAM@@file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid842.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fzz344%2Fhrt4me%2Fminigunonwildhogs.mp4@@AMEPARAM@@file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid842.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fzz344%2Fhrt4me%2Fminigunonwildhogs.mp4[/ame]

Well just got back again,Maybe we did a little good before only took 60 this time 24 boars,But I think deer season had something to do with it alot more people in the woods.I think we got alot of the big ones but there is a truck load of little & medium left.Going down when deer season closes.Going to help a new land owner in columbus after XMAS I love new woods.gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.