hodgdon h414 in 7mm-08 improved

I shoot alot of 414 but in the 308 as i dont own a 708 but it should work fine. I use it mostly because it meters so well and alot of my 308 ammo is loaded progessively for the black guns. Its burning rate is real close to 4350 which ought to be about ideal for what your doing. One thing ill add though is it can be a bit tough to light off well. I usually dont use mag primers other then when loading mag cartidges but in the case of 414 it may pay you to experiment with them. Some loads ive have do do better with mag primers. Keep in mind too that its a bit on the slow side for that work and youll about surely be using a full case of powder and be seating a bullet on a compressed charge. My 308 load with a 150 comes right up to the top of the case
anyone using hodgdon h414 in a 7mm-08 or a 7-08 improved is it anygood any feed back would be apreciated thanks

When the 7-08 first came out, I knew several folks who tried ball powder in it for match rifles. None of them got accuracy good enough for competition. Hunting use may well be OK. 'Course ball powder's never worked consistantly well in virtually all cartridges used in competition. Medium speed extruded powders did great, especially the IMR ones. I doubt the improved version will/would be any different.

50.5 grains of H414 and a Nosler 120 grain workt good enough a couple years ago to take a mulie @ 625 yards.
H414 while not a benchrest powder has been the powder of choice in numerous rounds over the years.
22-250 with 75grain Amaxes
243 with 55 grain Nosler
708 with 120 grain Nosler

anyone using hodgdon h414 in a 7mm-08 or a 7-08 improved is it anygood any feed back would be apreciated thanks

One of my most accurate rifles is a 22'' barrel 7/08 using 49.5 grains of H414 and a CCI Br2
primer behind a 120 grain ballistic tip.( .053 5 shots @ 100 yards ). It also likes 45.5 grains
of Varget.

I have been successful out to 550 yards on deer and 800+ on hogs.

I also have a 7/08x40 that likes H414 and Varget with the 140 grain Bullets.

The downside to Ball powders is there intolerance to heat. My load for the 7/08 goes from
3010 ft/sec in the winter to 3155 ft/sec in the 100o summer temperatures.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.