Hodgdon Benchmark

greener280

Has anyone had experience with Benchmark with calibers like the 22-250? I am curious how temperature sensitive the powder is because I am shooting in temperatures ranging from 10-100 degrees. Also can anyone who is shooting this powder tell me what range they are getting in velocities.

I shoot it in 223 and have loaded it in 22-250. No problems in the 223 -10 to 75. I think Hodgdon considered it an extreme powder. I still wouldn't work up a max load in the middle of winter though.

I use Benchmark(ADI Benchmark 2) for .223 light bullets and Varget(ADI 2208) for .22-250 50gr. Both are Extreme Extruded powders from ADI in Australia. They are advertised as less temp. sensitive than other brands.

Benchmark should work just fine with .22-250. It is a very flexible cartridge.

For me, Benchmark is easier to meter in powder dropper than Varget.

Hodgdon - The Gun Powder People has load data and info on the powders.

The owner of a local shop just sold me #8 of Benchmark he has had for several years, AT WHAT HE PAID FOR IT BACK THEN!
The first I have used it is in my 260 but I plan on trying it in my 22-250

Don't know if this helps but I use it in my .204 with 32gr blitzkings. Shoots .25" 5 shots at 100 yards. Let me know how it works in the 22-250. Thanks

I have had very good results with benchmark in my 22-250!
It has given very respectable velocities with 50gr BT's and, yes it is a very temp stable powder. I have used it in sub zero (C) temps right up to 100 (F) without issue.
It is very uniform in velocity, I got ES's of 8 with a tuned load and it didn't show any tendency to show swinging velocities with temp changes.

Howdy,
I have recently switched to Hodgdon Benchmark from IMR 3031 (in a different caliber) for just the reason you mentioned... temperature stability. I have hunted coyotes from -15 to over 100 and the Benchmark is more accurate and much, MUCH better in the temperature stability department.

Just my experience, and good shooting!

Coach

If you go to Hodgdon's website they have a far amount of load data using Benchmark in a 22-250. IMHO their site is worth taking a look at.

www.hodgdon.com

In three different .223's Benchmark is all I use. It has worked great for me in my .223's and it flows like water thru my powder measure.

I liked the velocities I was getting, but did not get the accuracy I was looking for with 50 and 55's in 22-250. Haven't shot in extreme cold, but have shot in high heat with out problem. One of the better powders in my 223 though with 50-55's.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.