HMA Permission Slips for Wyoming

Altiman94

Hi All-

I'm looking at going out to Wyoming (from IA) for an antelope trip this year. I've got my 3 units picked out and will plan to go with a group of 2 other guys. I keep hearing about getting HMA permission slips. Where/how do I go about getting one? Are they needed? Do they cost any $?

There is no cost. Depending on the area you hunt they can be very helpfull. Some are draw so as soon as you get your tags apply online for the HMAs in that area!

Go onto the F&G website and on the home page at the top right you will see where you can click on information for the HMA and the WIHA areas. The latter are open to hunting and all you have to do is park and walk in if you have the proper tag for the animals listed for that ranch. They are signed around the perimeter of the area you can hunt. For the HMA ranches you will click on the one you want and fill out the information and print out a permission slip that you carry with you and one to put in the windshied of your vehicle. It is a first come first served deal and when the quotas are full you are out of luck, so do it as soon as you draw your tags. Some of them have a draw and you have to enter that draw after you draw the tag and you just need to follow the directions on the website for those places and hope you get chosen.

You will want to check your area for HMA's once you know which one you will be hunting. Many of them have specific dates you can hunt there, not always the entire season, and many are draws you will have to enter. You can pick up a walk in area brochure at sporting goods stores and many gas stations which will list the areas available and for what species.

Is there anywhere online that shows which HMA's are in which antelope areas? I see where the G & F lists the areas...but not where they show what HMA's are in which unit (unit 32 for example).

I know I don't need to put in for any until I know which unit I drew (if any), but I'd at least like to have my ducks in a row when the tag comes.

Blow up the antelope map on the G&F website so you can see what county the units are in that you want to put in for. Then you can go to the HMA or WIA section of the website and click on that particular county to see what's in it, if any.

Be sure to read the terms of the walk in areas. There are three main types, walk-in (park and hoof it), traffic restricted to established roads (including two track), and traffic restricted to designated roads.

Go onto the F&G website and on the home page at the top right you will see where you can click on information for the HMA and the WIHA areas. The latter are open to hunting and all you have to do is park and walk in if you have the proper tag for the animals listed for that ranch. They are signed around the perimeter of the area you can hunt. For the HMA ranches you will click on the one you want and fill out the information and print out a permission slip that you carry with you and one to put in the windshied of your vehicle. It is a first come first served deal and when the quotas are full you are out of luck, so do it as soon as you draw your tags. Some of them have a draw and you have to enter that draw after you draw the tag and you just need to follow the directions on the website for those places and hope you get chosen.

Thanks you for the post.

You will want to check your area for HMA's once you know which one you will be hunting. Many of them have specific dates you can hunt there, not always the entire season, and many are draws you will have to enter. You can pick up a walk in area brochure at sporting goods stores and many gas stations which will list the areas available and for what species.

Am I correct on this? After being drawn you got 2 classes of hunting land.

1. Land owner controlled HMA that you have to get before you come out there, or on some ranches, you just drive up to the gate and fill out one and boogy on down the road?

2. WIA=Walk in area. just show up fill out a form and hoof it?

HPW if you would expound on that a little so I got it "crystal clear".
I always wanted to get a speed goat for the wall but might have waited to long. If old timers don't get me, my feet might let me down. I keep hoping.

Thanks

You are partially correct. The WIHAs do not require any paperwork at all to hunt. As long as you have a license for the animals that are listed in the G&F guide for a particular WIHA, you are good to hunt them. Most require that you park at a certain spot(s) at the signed ranch perimeter and walk in to get into the interior of the ranch. The other category is the HMAs and they control numbers of hunters by issuing written permission to hunt. Many just require that you log onto the G&F website, pick the HMA and fill out the form for permission and print it out to carry one copy and put a copy in the windshield where you park. Some require you to enter a drawing and the people that get drawn then fill out the necessary forms like I just mentioned to hunt certain dates. The 3 HMAs I found in the area I hunted last year just required the forms to be printed out on the computer, which I did, and then I took those with me to show I had permission to access the individual properties.

All the info on HMA's and Walk in areas, including maps and dates is available on the web site. last years info is pretty much the same year to year. Exceptions have already been noted for one unit 30 HMA.
If you are concerned about having enough BLM to hunt, you would be well advised to look into the HMA's prior to applying.

All the info on HMA's and Walk in areas, including maps and dates is available on the web site.

Pay particular attention to the restrictions on the walk-in areas. Most of the walk in areas in central Wyoming are of the "established" road variety. There are also park and walk in, and designated road walk in.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.