Hit the mile mark, Ruger M77 300 Win Mag

DT7

It has been a long path from a bent barreled mess to the ting of steel at 1760.

My project started out with a gun I rolled over in a four wheeler accident.

I had the action trued and a shillen match barrel installed.

I fought bad groups with 165 grain loads and a laminated stock but was still able to use it to hit steel at 1000 yards.

I found a used H-S precision stock with aluminum bedding block and bedded it with Devcon and my grouping improved immensly.

I also bought some 208 grain Amax's and some H-1000 and worked up a sub MOA load and started getting the itch to stretch her legs beyond 1000.

We have a trip planned to the utah salt flats every year and I thought that would be the place to give it a try.

I tested things out and my 1 inch tubed Mark II leupold didn't have enough come up for a mile so I ordered a Murphy precision 20 Moa pic. rail.

Before I had the reciever drilled and tapped I did some measuring with a long straight edge and some trigenometry and determined that the actual MOA gain on my action was going to be less than 20 so I spent some time with a file and carefully worked the front perch down and the rear perch angle to match and then dropped it off to have it drilled and tapped.

I also bedded the pic rail with Devcon also and all told I ended up with 28 MOA on my picatiney rail. I figured that would give me plenty of come up.

I installed the scope in Nightforce rings and Badger reducers, btw the Badger reducers didn't just drop into the Nightforce rings, they needed some clearance to fit the bottom rings.

Bad weather prevended me from getting the gun sighted in before our trip last weekend so I had to sight it in before the fun began.

There were 13 of us out there and we got things set up, steel targets at 200, 300, 400, 500, 600, 700, 800, 880, 1000, and 1760 yards.

I sighted in at 100 yards and then after letting it cool I shot steel at 700, then 800, then our life sized antelope shaped target at 880, and then 1000 yards.

My dope was very close to the dope I had proven a couple weeks before at 4500 feet before I had my pic rail on, we were shooting at 4200 feet last weekend.

The antelope would have been one shot kill.

The wind was less than 5 mph and it was getting closer to dark so pulled out my dope chart and accidentally read the dope for 1950 yards wich after dialing up to max I still needed 4 mil dots to get there.

I fired three shots and then went out to see where they impacted. After quite a bit of searching we finally found the impacts about 150 yards beyond the target.

My wind dope looked to be perfect but it took me a minute or two to figure out that I read the wrong dope.

By the time I figured out what I had done it was just about dark so we put a lantern on the target and I fired three more shots in the dark. One with the cross hairs dead on, one on the first mil dot, and the third on the second mil dot.

Well due to driving four wheelers looking for the impacts we werent able to find one of the impacts but one of the shots we found was short but the other one was about 8 inches right of the target and the elevation was good.

Now I just had to figure out which one was the one that was good.

Well the weather wasn't as nice the second day, in fact we had to take down our shade because the wind picked up and two of our campers went home with damaged or ripped off awnings caused by Kestrel measured 35 mph winds.

We spend most of the day shooting pistols and ARs at closer ranges. About mid afternoon the wind started to drop off so I got my shooting mat set up and settled in with my Ruger and went right to work at 1000 yards again.

I hit 4 for 6 with windage of 3 left 2.5 left 1 left and then 1 right at 1000 so I decided it was calm enough to try for the mile again.

I fired the first shot and waited there while someone went down range to check impact and they reported back that I had hit about the bottom edge of the target two inches to the right. I was watching the mirage and it had changed from right to left so I kept the same dope and sent another one and heard the report of steel. Woo hoo, contact.

Well as it turns out I was so focussed on the change in wind that I forgot to raise up a little higher so the shot impacted about 8 inches in front of the target and skipped into it.

So I fired one more shot raising up a bit and hit bonified steel at 1 mile. While we were trying to get another gun dialed in to the mile the wind picked up and the conditions never did get calm enough to try to print a better group on the 3'X4' target but the hit, skip/hit, and near miss would have printed about a 20 inch group, just over MOA at a mile. With a 300 mag and lowly Ruger no less.

We thought the weather would get better for another go at it but no such luck.

I may have to make another trip down to the salt to try again before next year and give it another try.

Sorry for the long write up but it has been a fun and exciting process to succeed at building a shooter from a bent wreck.

Thanks for reading, Dan

Sounds like some good shooting, would be even better with pics :D

Interestingly enough, the one experience I've had with bouncing a bullet into steel resulted in a full side on impact from a 7mm IMSHA (very slow, 175 grain bullet around 2400 fps I believe) denting AR500 at 550 yards, when even my 338 Lapua doesn't dent the same target at that range.

My first LR groundhog kill was a skip into the vitals at 628yds. Hey dead is dead in my book. Ironically enough it was with a 208 A-max in 300WSM. :rolleyes:

Tank

I have a Savage in .300wm. You have given me hope. I'm in the middle of trying to get it to shoot a 1000 yards. Getting all the hand loading stuff together has taken the most time. Here's a little tribute.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BHc72HQ05M&feature=related]YouTube - Filter - Hey Man Nice Shot (Demo)[/ame]

Thanks guys it sure was fun. I will post pictures when I get them, one of the guys down there had professional photography equipment and will send us a CD full of video and pictures of the weekend.

Unfortunately none of us thought to take a picture of the impacts, we thought I would get things dialed in better and get a good group on steel but the wind put a kybosh on that.

628 on a ground hog is an impressive shot. More so than a lob hit at a mile on a 3' by 4' target.

3finger keep at it you will get there. The key to getting dialed in is to shoot somewhere that you can find out where you are hitting. That is why I tried it on the salt flats. The first time I tried 1000 we were shooting into a bare field with a couple of inches of fresh snow. We could see impacts without going down range.

It has been a long path from a bent barreled mess to the ting of steel at 1760.

My project started out with a gun I rolled over in a four wheeler accident.

I had the action trued and a shillen match barrel installed.

I fought bad groups with 165 grain loads and a laminated stock but was still able to use it to hit steel at 1000 yards.

I found a used H-S precision stock with aluminum bedding block and bedded it with Devcon and my grouping improved immensly.

I also bought some 208 grain Amax's and some H-1000 and worked up a sub MOA load and started getting the itch to stretch her legs beyond 1000.

We have a trip planned to the utah salt flats every year and I thought that would be the place to give it a try.

I tested things out and my 1 inch tubed Mark II leupold didn't have enough come up for a mile so I ordered a Murphy precision 20 Moa pic. rail.

Before I had the reciever drilled and tapped I did some measuring with a long straight edge and some trigenometry and determined that the actual MOA gain on my action was going to be less than 20 so I spent some time with a file and carefully worked the front perch down and the rear perch angle to match and then dropped it off to have it drilled and tapped.

I also bedded the pic rail with Devcon also and all told I ended up with 28 MOA on my picatiney rail. I figured that would give me plenty of come up.

I installed the scope in Nightforce rings and Badger reducers, btw the Badger reducers didn't just drop into the Nightforce rings, they needed some clearance to fit the bottom rings.

Bad weather prevended me from getting the gun sighted in before our trip last weekend so I had to sight it in before the fun began.

There were 13 of us out there and we got things set up, steel targets at 200, 300, 400, 500, 600, 700, 800, 880, 1000, and 1760 yards.

I sighted in at 100 yards and then after letting it cool I shot steel at 700, then 800, then our life sized antelope shaped target at 880, and then 1000 yards.

My dope was very close to the dope I had proven a couple weeks before at 4500 feet before I had my pic rail on, we were shooting at 4200 feet last weekend.

The antelope would have been one shot kill.

The wind was less than 5 mph and it was getting closer to dark so pulled out my dope chart and accidentally read the dope for 1950 yards wich after dialing up to max I still needed 4 mil dots to get there.

I fired three shots and then went out to see where they impacted. After quite a bit of searching we finally found the impacts about 150 yards beyond the target.

My wind dope looked to be perfect but it took me a minute or two to figure out that I read the wrong dope.

By the time I figured out what I had done it was just about dark so we put a lantern on the target and I fired three more shots in the dark. One with the cross hairs dead on, one on the first mil dot, and the third on the second mil dot.

Well due to driving four wheelers looking for the impacts we werent able to find one of the impacts but one of the shots we found was short but the other one was about 8 inches right of the target and the elevation was good.

Now I just had to figure out which one was the one that was good.

Well the weather wasn't as nice the second day, in fact we had to take down our shade because the wind picked up and two of our campers went home with damaged or ripped off awnings caused by Kestrel measured 35 mph winds.

We spend most of the day shooting pistols and ARs at closer ranges. About mid afternoon the wind started to drop off so I got my shooting mat set up and settled in with my Ruger and went right to work at 1000 yards again.

I hit 4 for 6 with windage of 3 left 2.5 left 1 left and then 1 right at 1000 so I decided it was calm enough to try for the mile again.

I fired the first shot and waited there while someone went down range to check impact and they reported back that I had hit about the bottom edge of the target two inches to the right. I was watching the mirage and it had changed from right to left so I kept the same dope and sent another one and heard the report of steel. Woo hoo, contact.

Well as it turns out I was so focussed on the change in wind that I forgot to raise up a little higher so the shot impacted about 8 inches in front of the target and skipped into it.

So I fired one more shot raising up a bit and hit bonified steel at 1 mile. While we were trying to get another gun dialed in to the mile the wind picked up and the conditions never did get calm enough to try to print a better group on the 3'X4' target but the hit, skip/hit, and near miss would have printed about a 20 inch group, just over MOA at a mile. With a 300 mag and lowly Ruger no less.

We thought the weather would get better for another go at it but no such luck.

I may have to make another trip down to the salt to try again before next year and give it another try.

Sorry for the long write up but it has been a fun and exciting process to succeed at building a shooter from a bent wreck.

Thanks for reading, Dan
Outstanding. My longest with anything sub .50cal is 1370m with a 300 Norma Mag, and 1420yds with my 7 STW. Both Remington customs; and just over two decades apart.

To accomplish that with your Ruger, an action not known for great accuracy generally speaks volumes for your builder and your own patience in working up the loads.

You should right this up send it and some pictures (and witness statements) to Ruger and Shilen and they'll eat it up.

Congrats.

DT7: First off....congrats on the achievement at the highest order guy. Thats something else.

I noticed this statement...
"I fought bad groups with 165 grain loads and a laminated stock but was still able to use it to hit steel at 1000 yards.

I found a used H-S precision stock with aluminum bedding block and bedded it with Devcon and my grouping improved immensly."

And Im asking if you think that a laminated stock equipped with the aluminum bedding block and then fully bedded would do a person just as well as the composite stock has done for you?

Thanks for all the comments guys, they are truly appreciated.

Sully2, I think an aluminum bedded wood stock would have done the trick, in fact my laminated stock wasn't even bedded. I had just finished bedding a Ruger M77 vt 22-250 and I built my own bedding pillars with a semi-block for the front. It was such a hassle I decided to find something with a block in it already. In a nut shell my laminated stock wasn't even bedded and I bought the other stock out of laziness :D I'm glad I did.

You may have seen these pictures I posted during load development for the 208 grain A-maxs in April. Here is a picture of my friend behind my Ruger before I changed the scope mounts

springshooting005.jpg

congratulations and thanks for sharing. awesome, dude. so glad to hear something other than a rem 700. i have an identical rifle that prints .2 inch 5 shot groups with 220 SMK at 2900 fps. have killed all kinds of game from bear, caribou, moose, elk etc. with it. another 300 WM stock Model 70 classic magnaported 26in barrel, pencil thin also prints .25 in groups with same load. a puch feed post 64 300WM with lilja barrel and it does the same (actually, it shoots better than i do, as i cant hold much better than .2 in at 100 and all the bullets go where the crosshairs are pointed at time of liftoff). since i am in dangerous game country a lot i choose a controlled feed action (dont want to have a round hit me in the face if i am on my back trying to jack another round in) and i have never been disappointed. great work, way to hang in there as it can be really disappointing and great insight into your problems even if you did take the "easy" way out with the bedding.
thanks again
doc

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.