Highest Kinetic Energy Rifle out of ALLEN PRECISION to date...

Fiftydriver

Official LRH Sponsor
Just finished a customers rifle that will easily produce the highest Kinetic Energy payload of any rifle that has come out of the shop to date and not sure I will ever top this one.

ImportedPhotos00000-16.jpg

Here are the specs:
Armalite AR-50, fully trued and action smoothed up
Lilja 45", 1.750" straight cylinder 1-15 twist Stainless barrel, YEP, 45"!!!!
APS Custom 5 port muzzle brake
Tuned Shilen trigger
Armalite Heavy Duty bipod

The rifle measures a hair over 75" in over all length!!! Here are a couple more pics.

ImportedPhotos00003-8.jpg

ImportedPhotos00008-3.jpg

My customers goal is to use the rifle for 1000 yard BR matches and wanted to get at least 3000 fps with the 750 gr A-Max bullet. Since my personal 510 AM will do 2900 fps with top loads in a 34" barrel length, I do not think he will have any problem at all getting over 3000 fps.

ImportedPhotos00004-6.jpg

I suspect that he may be able to play with that 3100 fps level but we will have to see. That would be over 16,000 ft/lbs of kinetic energy!!! Quite the rock buster.

For those that have not heard of the 510 Allen Magnum. Its a 50 BMG case that has had the shoulder angle and body taper changed to the Allen Magnum configuration. Adds roughly 200 fps over the standard BMG especially with bullets of 750 gr or heavier.

I will admit its a bit intimidating to stand next to a rifle standing on its recoil pad and have it measure up as tall as I am at 6' 3"!!! She is a heck of a rifle. I am hoping to get out to the range with my Dad this weekend and get it range tested and see where it tops out at. Dad has a bit of a soft spot for the big 1/2 guns so I always make sure he is there to test the 50s.

Anyway, just wanted to share some pics.

Last edited:
Re: Highest Kenetic Energy Rifle out of ALLEN PRECISION to date...

What is a cow barrel?

Sorry for the typo. Corrected it in the post but can not the title of the post.

Yah, but where's the wheels and hydraulic lift?:)

I saw the first picture and just figured the barrel looked long because of the camera angle. Then I read the length and realized it's an accurate picture.

Not quite a sheep gun but should work for what he wants it for.:)

Sorry for the typo. Corrected it in the post but can not the title of the post.
Kirby:

Click on edit and then click on the edit box at the lower right again and then you can edit the title.

You need to put up a picture of one of your "little" guns beside it.

Not quite a sheep gun but should work for what he wants it for.

Oh, I don't know, I think it would make a heck of a sheep gun.

Unload it out of the back of the truck, shoot your sheep three quarters of the way up the mountain, send someone up and get it. Sounds pretty simple to me.:D:D:D

Chris

He's using this for targets. 8666 ft/lb at 1000 yards - that should be enough energy to get the bullet through the paper.

Here's the ballistics at my elevation:

50cal.jpg

Impressive.

About "cow barrel"... I think that's the female version of a bull barrel.

Please let us know how it shoots.

Paul

Canned Heat,

Not trying to be rude here but have you ever seen an AR-50 rifle????

Its probably easily the strongest receiver out there for long heavy barrels because it has a HUGE V-shape under the receiver that is hidden stock that you can not see.

Here is a pic of the receiver compared to a Rem 700 Long Action. This should clear up the size comparison issues for you. I do not think you fully understand the size and strength of the AR-50 receiver.

ReceiverII.jpg

There is no bedded either. The stock is machined form a solid billet of heat treated aluminum. It has a huge V-channel in it and the bottom receiver matches this V and is pulled down into the stock and there is also a locking wedge that pulls and holds the recoil lug solidly back against the support surface in the stock so that there can be no for and aft movement.

If you have ever seen an AR-50 receiver, you would have no question how it could handle this barrel. The receiver was designed for the 12.5 Russian chambering so its MUCH longer then most standard 50 BMG receivers. Hell, the bolt body itself is as large in diameter and length as a Rem 700 Long Action and the AR bolt is longer then a complete Rem 700 Long Action receiver.

As far as barrel vibrations, again, have you ever handled a 1.750" straight cylinder barrel? There will be no barrel vibration problems with a barrel this massive.

I also never said 200 fps over a mil spec chamber. I do not work with mil spec chambers, I use only match chambers, have little need for mil spec. When shooting any 50 cal based on the BMG case, the best way to figure pressure is to chamber a fired case right after firing, the fired case should chamber easily which tells you chamber pressures are within the 50-55,000 psi range.

I load the 510 AM so that you can still chamber a fired case but there is a bit more resistance simply because of the min taper on the case design. Chambers are likely in the 55-60,000 psi range.

The factory recoil lug is used which is generally very square right from the factory. In fact, I have found very few that had more then 0.0002" variation in thickness around the barrel support ring. It is made from high quality heat treated 4140 chrome moly steel and is over a full inch in thickness, again, its more then up to any stress that the rifle will impose on the recoil lug.

I have never heard the expression COW referring to any barrel. Only time I have heard that is when someone was referring to a case forming process using Cream Of Wheat to form cases. I have never heard any references to what you are talking about.

Again, I just do not think you fully understand how large of a rifle you are looking at is all. The pic of the two receivers should make it clear just how big the AR receiver is.

Paul,

Thanks for the ballistic graph. For a 50 cal, she is most impressive. As you well know though, there are some smaller chamberings that really kick the crap out of any 50 cal as far as bullet drop. Heck, many of the 510 Allen Magnums smaller siblings are much more impressive as far as bullet drop numbers go but that is not the real strength of the 50 cal chamberings, its putting a very heavy bullet with high "KINETIC" energy levels on target.

Still, for shear, "FUN", any 50 cal, no matter if its a BMG or a wildcat version of it are impossible to beat. Just nothing quite like raking in a 6" long round and throwing out an empty 4" long case thats 8/10s of an inch in diameter!!!

Speaking of 50 cal bullets.........

Take care.

Canned Heat,

I just watched the video where you got the term "COW" barrel from. Please tell me your smarter then that my friend.

That jacka$$ was obviously making a sarcastic comment about bull barrels. I hope your smart enough to pick up on that. If not, for once and for all:

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A COW BARREL!!!!! Let it go and if your using this idoit for an informational source, you will have many frustrations along the way. It almost made me sick to watch that video. Idiots like that do not deserve to own a rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts