Highest BC Bullet in .308?

lucasgreff

I am sure this has been asked before but I did several searches and couldn't come up with anything useful.

I am basically looking for a high BC bullet for my .300 Win Mag to reach out to 1000 yards for prairie dogs. I use 200gr GameKings for deer season but don't stretch my shooting past what I can guarantee a hit. I am looking at the High BC bullets to get out to 1000 with as little drift as possible not for terminal ballistics.

Are the matchkings still the best. Oh yeah I am shooting a REm 700 Sendero 1 with a trued action and muzzle brake. No other mods. 1-10 twist I believe.
thanks
Lucas

The 240 SMK has a B of .711. On the other hand I would practice with the bullet that I am going to hunt with and become very familar with it, that is the best way to extend your effective range IMHO

The SMK's has a little better BC then the Berger but it is minial. Bergers are .631 and SMK are .645. For a hunting bullets I would much rather be running bergers. Just my opinion though.

My only intention is to shoot prairie dogs with the rounds. And possibly the mile gong. I thought the SMKs were the highest BC bullets I just wanted to double check before I purchased. I will stick to Gamekings for taking game.

thanks for the quick replies,

Lucas

I'm curious why you would pick the Berger over the SMK?

I just think the jacket design is better. Berger designs all of its bullets to be acceptable for hunting purposes. However Sierra designs the Matchking for the single purpose of a match/competition bullet.

I am sure this has been asked before but I did several searches and couldn't come up with anything useful.

I am basically looking for a high BC bullet for my .300 Win Mag to reach out to 1000 yards for prairie dogs. I use 200gr GameKings for deer season but don't stretch my shooting past what I can guarantee a hit. I am looking at the High BC bullets to get out to 1000 with as little drift as possible not for terminal ballistics.

Are the matchkings still the best. Oh yeah I am shooting a REm 700 Sendero 1 with a trued action and muzzle brake. No other mods. 1-10 twist I believe.
thanks
Lucas

PM Sent.

James

Henson Al tipped

The Henson Al tipped 180 is the highest BC you are likely to find for a 10 twist. It is ballistically equal to the 240 SMK and can of course be pushed to much higher speed, thus reducing wind drift. Henson also makes a 212 and 220, the later with a BC above 0.9. But they won't stabalize in a 10 twist. If you want to join the 1000 yd club, that bullet may be the ticket. May be a little pricey for high volume shooting, but this is not the caliber for high volume shooting anyhow.

I just think the jacket design is better. Berger designs all of its bullets to be acceptable for hunting purposes. However Sierra designs the Matchking for the single purpose of a match/competition bullet.

Actually, I believe the Bergers were (and are) strictly designed for match/competition also. It just so happened that when they tried their bullets on game animals and for hunting purposes, they found out that they worked well for that purpose also. Then Berger started advertising their match bullets as hunting bullets, in addition to match bullets. I don't believe any modifications were made to their purely match/competition bullets prior to advertising them for hunting use. At least that's what I've read - from Berger I believe.

Last edited:
Too bad your not shooting a 300RUM. Even in 1:10 twist, due to the extra velocity, it'll stabilize the 240 SMK well past 1000 yds and the 240 has a reputation of being a good hunting bullet. Between it's SD and weight, there's not much it doesn't make quite an impact on. Other than that, the 208 Amax or 210 Berger is probably your best bet. The 180 Henson would be great if you're willing to spend the $ for it to shoot 'chucks. Have fun!

Henson cost?

Does anyone actually know what the 180 Henson costs? All I know is someone said they were pricy. But I don't know an actual cost so I shouldn't say anything. My thinking is I would expect to pay for the added performance. I know they have the BC. If they have the accuracy and on game performance, they'd be worth quite a bit to me. But I don't know about accuracy and on game performance yet either. I am hoping to see reports on that soon.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.