High Velocity Slugs

gonewest

I just ordered a Savage 220. I have been looking at 20 guage slugs and buying a few here and there so I don't break the bank. I got some accutips, Win Supreme bonded, and SST. I did see one that got my attention was the Rem High Velocity slugger. It says it goes 1800 fps pushing a half oz slug. It says its for a smooth bore but can be used in a rifled barrel. The price is so right at 5 bucks a box. Has anyone shot this slug in a Savage 220 or other 20 gauge rifled guns? Thanks for any info.

I haven't used them but I think most would recommend not using rifled slugs in a rifled barrel if you are going for performance.

I have seen a lot of deer shot with shotguns and I strongly recommend the 3" partition gold if they shoot well in your gun. They hit hard, penetrate, put them down fast, and shoot as flat of a trajectory as anything else out there.

I don't like the way some of the shells on the market today perform at close range. Penetration has not been the best. In my opinion if the bullet loaded in the shell looks like it belongs in a handgun it probably wasn't designed for striking animals at 2000fps. I have had a few blow apart bad enough to stop using them.

I took a frontal shot on a large bodied buck at 30yards with Winchester xp3 ammo that never expanded at all. I recovered the bullet under the hide in a hind quarter.

I could not get the Federal Barnes expander to shoot well from my gun but would think terminal performance would be good.

I have shot a 300+lb black bear at 10 yards with the partition gold and it performed perfectly. I have also shot deer further away than most would consider ethical with them and they have always performed well.

Shotguns can be fussy about what ammo they like. Try a few types and see.

I have never saw a rifled slug shot from a rifled barrel that would group. I have had very good luck with the accutip, remington core-lok, and the sst slugs through my h&r ultra slugger. I have only had 1 deer make it out of sight with both of the remington slugs, most are bang flops. The sabots cost more but are well worth it for what you gain.

Aren't shotgun rifled slugs made to shot in a rifled slug barrel?? why would a person shoot rifled slugs in a smooth?I shoot federal 3" 12ga sabot slugs and rem accupoint sabot slugs in my beretta xtreme 2 slug barrel?? please answer.gun)

Last edited:
Aren't shotgun rifled slugs made to shot in a rifled slug barrel?? why would a person shoot rifled slugs in a smooth?I shoot federal 3" 12ga sabot slugs and rem accupoint sabot slugs in my beretta xtreme 2 slug barrel?? please answer.gun)
One thing that I have not seen said yet is the rifling on a rifled slug goes opposite of the rifling in a rifled barrel.People using Remington rifled slug will in time fill up the rifling in their barrel.I have worn out barrel bushes getting the lead out for people that did not listen to me.Now some other brands might not be like that.The rifling on those rifled slug's are made to spin the slug in a smooth bore The sabot's do not need the rifling because it's in the barrel

My owners manual stated 3" Rem Accutips. Is that no longer Savages position? The OM stated accuracy guaranty was 3" RAT 2nd was a Fed that is now obsolete.

The rifling on a rifled slug is for spinning due to the air while in flight. I have shot many deer with a shotgun, both rifled and smoothbore. The op will find the best accuracy with a sabot slug in a rifled barrel. My personal favorite are barnes expander loaded by Federal.

Rifled slugs, the fins, do not impart any spin at all, they are there merely to allow the slug to compress and pass through a smoothbore shotgun's choke

Rifled slugs, the fins, do not impart any spin at all, they are there merely to allow the slug to compress and pass through a smoothboreshotgun's choke
I ended up finding great groups with the Browning 20 gauge in my H&R single shot. Never checked the speed but I could feel the difference.