high shoulder shots on bears

Adrenaline has nothing to do with Lung function.If the lungs quit carrying oxygen you expire.Does not matter what you are.

Jus sayin

Last edited:
With all the variables involved: caliber, shape, construction, weights, velocities, twist rates, I haven't seen it all. There are many anatomy/physiology variables that I haven't seen yet either.
The rereading of these posts reveal a couple of things we could have expressed better. We keep saying "both lungs" kind of OK, but they are better represented as segments and sub segments that are not necessarily deflated because of a bullet hole in another region. Variability of blood loss, the lungs have basically 2 types of blood flow-systemic that is the normal BP kind of thing we think of, and pulmonary circulation which operates at a much lower pressure, also if the lung unit they supply isn't aerated they constrict, and blood flow will shift away. It is possible to thread a bullet through a lung without hitting a systemic vessel, and minimal blood loss.
Lungs don't produce oxygen-they carry it (ventilation) from the atmosphere to the pulmonary circulation (perfusion), and Adrenaline/Epinephrine most definitely affects ventilation and perfusion. An animal relaxed isn't using much of it's lung capacity, on adrenaline it will use as much as it can. It will supply any undamaged lung segment at this point. Perfusion will also change to benefit flight or fight. Epinephrine is one of the cornerstone drugs for cardiac arrest, and in some breathing disorders as well.
None of this is to deny anyones experience-but to hopefully support that legitimate different experiences exist for a variety of reasons. Hunting is a remarkably complex activity Here's hoping we all stay curious about what will happen the next time out!

I've spined a couple of grizzlies, it isn't an instant kill but it stopped them from going very far. I prefer to break down the front end, lower on the shoulder to break front legs to prevent them from running. I have shot all but one of my bears at 75 yards or less.

Gus

Yep. Exactly. Break em down at the low shoulder.

Going to do some field testing of all these theories next week. I will let you all know what I find out!:D

Going to do some field testing of all these theories next week. I will let you all know what I find out!:D

This subject really is a no-brainer. Let's not make it more complicated than it has to be.

Hit them in the shoulder with enough bullet to penetrate the largest potential bear in the area, and you'll have a short and successful tracking job.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.