High Powered 30 cal???

buckbrush

I am wanting to build a long range gun in 30 cal. mostly because of bullet availablity and cost. I'd like to build something that can shoot the 240 gr Match Kings at 3000+ fps. Are there any cartridges that are capable of that velocity while using a conventional Remington, Winchester or Savage action?

Thanks for any help.

Michael.

Yes !!!

The 300 RUM will do very well and will fit a long action Rem with a standard magnum
bolt face , And so will the 300 win mag but it does not have the punch that the 300RUM.

There are some cartriges that are bigger but bolt work is required.

It will be a stretch with the 240MK but with a 26"+ barrel it should make it. A 28" barrel
blank will finish up at 27+3/8" whitch should do the trick.

With a 24 to 26" barrel the 220grSMK will exceed 3000 ft/sec and might be better allround
bullet choice.

I like the 200gr accubond @ 3200 ft/sec in my 300 RUM.

And if I want more bullet I go to my 338 RUM with 250gr accubonds and I am good for
ELK out to 1100yrds with1500+ft/lbs of energy.

It will also fit in the rem LA with no bolt work.

J E CUSTOM

Seems like you would be suited well with the 300 RUM. You may not get quite 3000 FPS out of the 240 SMK (will depend on bbl length) but you will get it close for sure. This case can easily be built on a remmy or winny action. The 30-378 is a bit more potent but seems more finiky overall than the 300 RUM and most smiths wont build on on a rem or win action. Some think it is out right dangerous.

Just my .02

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts