high power 6mm

That is a loaded question. I have a 6mm-284 and it does very well. That being said I have heard of guys taking a 7mm mag and necking it to 6mm along with a 270 wsm and necking it to 6mm. Just depends on your expectations of barrel life and what you really want to do with the cartridge. Personally the 6-284 is as big as I would go in a 6mm.

I'm sure someone has done bigger but the most common are the 6 Mach IV (6-7rm Imp.) and 6wsm. I have a 6wsm and have pushed 105 Amax's to near 3600fps. I think the 6 Mach IV would do 3650fps with 105's.

I'm sure someone has done bigger but the most common are the 6 Mach IV (6-7rm Imp.) and 6wsm. I have a 6wsm and have pushed 105 Amax's to near 3600fps. I think the 6 Mach IV would do 3650fps with 105's.
Any faster than that and you are probably going to start seeing bullets disintegrate before they hit.

Any faster than that and you are probably going to start seeing bullets disintegrate before they hit.

You very well could but most tipped bullets seems to handle the stress better than a non tipped. I might pull it out this spring and light up a few rock chucks to see how it does. I have 2 .243AI's that I normally use so I'm sure it is just more of a good thing.

You very well could but most tipped bullets seems to handle the stress better than a non tipped. I might pull it out this spring and light up a few rock chucks to see how it does. I have 2 .243AI's that I normally use so I'm sure it is just more of a good thing.
As do solids. Over the years though we've pushed 17 Rem's, 220 swift and 204's to the point wa saw soft points shuck off jackets or literally just explode before they hit 200yds.

Very few bullets are designed with 3800fps or higher velocities in mind.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.