High End Flashlights

Len.

I like most have tried Lot's of flash lights and the best for what I use them for
has been the Streamlight Scorpion.

For a small flash light it is the brightest and has the most range of any light I have tried.

With 6500 candlepower you can spotlight objects hundreds of yards away. It is like a mini
Q Beam.

It uses 2 3 volt Lithium batteries that are expensive to fire a xenon bulb and it cost around
$40.00 dollars.

The led lights are a very good flash light that gives a good walking light but the Scorpion
will reach out to unbelievable distances.

I can normally make the deer season (3 Months)with one set of batteries.

You should try one and compare it to other lights.

I would be interested in your evaluation and recommendations.

J E CUSTOM

I used a maglite flashlights for a number of years. I finally took the plunge and bought a sure fire. World of difference. However for the price its hard to beat a maglite.

Len---over the years I have bought 8 lights from Wayne. These are the best of the best. Not cheap but are on the cutting edge of LED technology.

Elektro Lumens Home Page

Read about them and do the research-----some of them could be considered a weapon they are so blinding! I have the Firesword and it is the most brutal light I have ever held in my hands. After using these all of the others seem like kiddie toys. I have retired my HID flashlights for these if that tells you anything.

I am a big fan of surefire's, but I'm not a fan of their price lol I have 2 of the cheaper G2's that work very well and keep one in hunting bag and other in junk drawer in the house. I haven't bought any of their LED models yet, but would really like to because battery and lamp costs are expensive to upkeep. I also have one of the larger ones that I got on one of my last deployments that stays in my truck. I really want one of the weapon lights for my M4, but I'm not about to spend $400-$500 on a flashlight, thats a good chunk of a new rifle! I can get surefire batteries for free usually at work so that's why I stuck with them and not another brand.

Len,

It would definitely help to know what price points and support you were looking at.

Surefire and Streamlight are going to be there for the foreseeable future, some of the boutique type companies might not.

Surefire customer support is above reproach; call them, tell them the problem, and a replacement or repair will be done post haste. Streamlight is much the same.

Smaller manufacturers can't always meet that expectation.

Cutting edge companies like Fenix (or Elektrolumens, who makes great lights, too, by the way) may offer better value for the money, but their product turnover is high, and fast, so year to year the models may vary significantly. There are lots of little boutique specialty manufacturers who make incredibly good LED lights, but may not fit the market you are in real well.

Cougarfan

I am a huge fan of surefire. I have a Z2 combat mounted to a special purpose 12 gauge, and I have 2 G2's. My problem with using these as the only light in my pack would be battery life. They are designed for short duration use as spotters and to disorient an assailant, not for work or night hiking etc.

I have not, however, tried their LED models or even checked out their battery life.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.