Hi Score Benchrest Follower

crawlnshoot

Has anyone epoxied one of the single shot followers directly into the stock when bedding the action? I have a Savage 116 long action that I'm putting into a Stockade stock but I don't want to use the magazine and plan to fill the mag. well with epoxy and was hoping to install the follower directly in the stock. The reason for this is I want to be able to use the action with magazine, another barrel and stock for hunting. The rifle came with the new centerline feed magazine, but the magazine cut-out in the action and stock look to be the same dimensions as the one for the staggered magazine. Anyone know if the dimensions of the action cut-outs are the same?

Jim Berry

I used the one for the short action in my Savage 10 .223 REM and it works great. I didn't have any problems with the fit but I do use the factory stock.
Feeds Great with few problems

good luck

Lucas

with the singlel shot followers your better off glueing it to the action and then blending it in some with a file then bedding it , if you try to bed it to the stock it could cause some stress issues.

Score high follower

Jim, I have done this many time on Savage rifles. I have even done it using the Savage follower. It will not cause any problems, if positioned properly. If you glue it into your action, you will not be able to switch stocks and then, use as a repeater.

Be careful on what you call what.

The bench rest follower (Score High) most probably isn't what you want. Its made for setting on top of the normal follower to get a single stack of cartridges or to make it easy to shoot single shot with out much fuss.

I ordered two of the me before I got it right. Yep, I'm kinda slow.

What you want is a Davidson Loading Ramp. Sinclair #RRAMP-S or L depending on action length. If its not for a Rem then just call/email Kirby and he'll fix you up. That's what I had to do. Glues right in. With an ADL its the cat's meow.

Also, his prices are comparable to Sinclair.

Davidson loading ramp

Roy, can the davidson loading ramp be glued into the stock, or does it have to be glued into the receiver?

Jim

Into the receiver.

Why would you want to glue something into the stock?

But, I am a single shot fan.

I filled the magazine cut with a block of wood and more JB Weld or some such stuff.

You don't need to get carried away with gluing the ramp in the action. First I test fit the ramp and file down the edges that hang down in the back below the action contour. I then use 6 very small drops of JB weld which squishes up to hold on a horiz and vert plane in the mag box cut-out recess of the action, and let it harden a day before bedding the action.

Then I use a single piece of clear shipping label tape over the ramp and back over all of the pin holes, bolt release and trigger slots to keep bedding compound from coming up through. I trace the tape around all of the cutouts with an exacto knife about 1/16" from the holes and cover all with release agent. This gives enough clearance between the ramp and bed to allow the recoil lug and action surfaces to provide support, rather than the ramp.

Ramp is easily popped out if you need to later with a quick rap of a dowel through the loading port.

Shummy

That said, if i was looking to continuously swap back and forth between stocks, I would probably use a few drops of silicone to hold the ramp instead of the JB weld.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts