Hi, I'm new here

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SteveTimm, Sep 21, 2006.

1. SteveTimm

SteveTimm Member

Hi, I\'m new here

Hi All,

I'm new here. I've hunted a lot, handloaded forever and written for gun/hunting magazines quite a bit.

Hopefully, if the atmosphere is friendly, I'll be able to hang out with you guys and add a bit of experience where I can.

Steve Timm

2. bailey1474

bailey1474 <strong>SPONSOR</strong>

Re: Hi, I\'m new here

Welcome to LRH!! I think you'll find this is one of the friendliest places on the net. Lots of great minds on here and everyone is willing to share. We could always use another great mind!!

3. sniper2

sniper2 Well-Known Member

Welcome Steve! I enjoyed your article on the little 218 bee
    in the number 4 Nosler Reloading Guide and that was a nice photo of you holding that German shepherd(coyote).Just teasing welcome aboard I am sure you have plenty of info to share, jump in where ever you like...

4. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Welcome to LRH, we are a friendly bunch it seems, sort of like puppies only a little better trained (in most cases).

5. SteveTimm

SteveTimm Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Welcome Steve! I enjoyed your article on the little 218 bee
    in the number 4 Nosler Reloading Guide and that was a nice photo of you holding that German shepherd(coyote).Just teasing welcome aboard I am sure you have plenty of info to share, jump in where ever you like...

[/ QUOTE ]

Sniper,

Yup, I cringe every time I look at that photo. The coyote is about the size of a pygmie poodle, but it was the only photo I had of a .218-killed dog.

Now, you could have mentioned the decent mule deer photo I had in Nosler Number Five with the .280 Ackley intro.

Just to make up for the baby coyote, here is a photo of a BIG critter. It's an eland and it weighed 2,353 pounds guts, feathers and all. Yeah, big.

Steve

[​IMG]

6. sniper2

Yep! Now that is a Big critter Steve you must have made a great brain stem shot with a 218 bee to take him down!!LOL

7. MachV

MachV Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard Steve!
    Recognize your handle from the Varmint Hunter magazines and your promoting of the 280AI.
    Always good to have more knowledge in the quest for long range.

8. SteveTimm

SteveTimm Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Yep! Now that is a Big critter Steve you must have made a great brain stem shot with a 218 bee to take him down!!LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

Sniper,

Naw, not the .218, you silly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Actually, it was a well-placed 180-grain Hornady Interlocked SPBT out of a .30-'06 at 51 yards. He was coming into me, kinda angled, and I placed the shot about halfway up and precisely at the shoulder/neck crease. The next thing I saw was four feet in the air....unmoving feet. He was stone, cold dead.

My PH, Kjeld Kruger, had never seen an eland killed bang-flop dead, so we perfomed an autopsy on the critter when we got it back to the farm's butchery. The Interlocked had penetrated the eland's THICH hide, hit precisely in the middle of one of the vertabrae (between the shoulder blades) and hit the spinal cord dead center. Totally beginner's luck.

The tenderloins were fabulous.

Steve

9. SteveTimm

SteveTimm Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Welcome aboard Steve!
    Recognize your handle from the Varmint Hunter magazines and your promoting of the 280AI.
    Always good to have more knowledge in the quest for long range.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mach V,

Thanks for the welcome, my friend. Yeah, I was at Varmint Hunter for twelve years. I never missed an issue and had about seventy (or so) feature articles published there.

Yup, the .280 Ackley rocks and I've killed more than a few big game animals with it. I love that cartridge and am totally delighted that it's being SAAMIed and going commercial.

Actually, I'm not really a long range shooter. Might seem long to some folks, but I just shoot within my ability...and absolutely no further.

The last big game Karen and I shot were antelope in Montana. Karen killed a great buck at 306 yards, I shot an equal buck at 302 and I also shot two large dry does at 326 and 359. Four antelope and four empty cases. That's the way it should be.

Oh, for the goats, we used an experimental gain-twist barrel (11"-to-9") chambered for .25-'06 with a whole bunch of RL-22 and 100-grain Ballistics. MV is 3,500 fps and it bang-flops the heck out of prairie goats.

Thanks again for the welcome,

Steve

10. Jimm

Jimm Writers Guild

Howdy Steve,

Welcome aboard /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif sorry , couldn't resist . Look forward to some good stories from your end as the days go by .

There ar e some of the best guys around on this site . Actually all of them cepting Roy in Idaho /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif he's a mess ( A good mess though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif )

Jim B.

11. SteveTimm

SteveTimm Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Howdy Steve,

Welcome aboard /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif sorry , couldn't resist . Look forward to some good stories from your end as the days go by .

There ar e some of the best guys around on this site . Actually all of them cepting Roy in Idaho /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif he's a mess ( A good mess though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif )

Jim B.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey jim,

Thanks for the welcome; I'll be sure to watch out for Roy from Idaho. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'm looking forward to sharing hunting experiences and cold, snowy horse trails.

Just for kicks and giggles, he is the photo of a fair goat shot in Montana a couple of years back.

Steve

[​IMG]

12. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

SteveTimm,

Welcome aboard.

Yeh, we're a friendly bunch.

I've been thinking about that progressive twist idea. Though my tho'ts were more towards the line guide for a casting reel that is kind of threaded both ways to even out the line on the spool.

Incorporate that technology into a rifle barrel bore and you could have a bullet rotating 'both' ways. Otta be super stable and take the earth's rotation out of the eq'n.

I know for a fact jimm would rebarrel everything he had. with them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

13. sniper2

Good shooting! Nice looking speed goat as well!Do you experiment with many wild cats? If so what kind and how many?

14. 41mag

41mag Well-Known Member

Welcome to the board.
    From your statement, "if the atmosphere is friendly," looks like you found a new home. Great bunch of folks from beginners to experts.

I am somewhere in the middle, just know enough to keep me in trouble with the wife, and game in the freezer.

WEll got to run looing forward to some of those stories.