Hi from Canada

Mermaid

:) I joined just recently and I have been encouraged to tell you guys (and gals) a bit about myself. I live in Peterborough, Ontario, Canada. I am a retired dentist and have been married to a wonderful husband for 28 years. Although I have extensive experience with a variety of firearms, due to circumstances beyond my control, I haven't had the opportunity to shoot for the last 29 years. I am currently in the process of acquiring possession and acquisition licenses for both restricted and non-restricted weapons. gun)I HATE this nonsense but the laws have changed. Back in 1983, you could just walk into a gun store or Canadian Tire and buy a weapon no questions asked. The nanny state has hit us too!!
I'm primarily interested in precision bulls eye shooting although I used to hunt with my father many moons ago. I intend to purchase an accurate bean field type rifle and a .22 cal. target pistol this spring. I'm looking forward to getting back into the saddle, so to speak. :D

Well hello and welcome to this site. Lots to learn from many of the members on here, incredible reads as well. I live fairly close, I am from a small town between Burlington and Hamilton Ontario.

:) Thanks for the welcome!

I need a bit of advice though. As you know, I plan to buy a rifle as soon as I get my license. I am into precision bulls eye shooting and would like a rifle capable of sub MOA performance. I am considering the following models:

Browning M100 Eclipse .270 WSM
Savage VLP DBM .300 WSM
Remington 700 SFII Sendero 7mm Remington Magnum.
Kimber Tactical .308
Tikka and Sako varmint models possibly .243 or 7mm-08

I would like to avoid .308 if possible because I don't like the ballistics. Being an old school kind of gal, I would prefer a wooden stock.

I have searched the web extensively, I am getting mixed reviews. Some say that Savage is the way to go. Others say that the Remington is the best thing since sliced bread. Unfortunately, some had to do a lot of work to get the Sendero to shoot accurately.

I am tempted to go with the Browning because I have considerable experience with their firearms. They have a great fit and finish and perform admirably. However, the trigger will have to be reworked. 4 lbs is a bit much for precision shooting.

Reviews of Tikka and Sako Varmint models are positive as far as accuracy is concerned but I want to avoid a plastic stock (Tikka). The Sako is a bit on the pricy side but the varmint is available with a walnut or laminated stock. Unfortunately, they are not available in the chamberings that I would prefer.

I fell in love with the Kimber Sonora only to find that they don't make them anymore so I'll have to go with the tactical model with a plastic stock and in .308 if I go that route.

I should add that I'm not terribly concerned about recoil. I was a competitive trap shooter when I was young and used to fire 100+ rounds of 12 gauge /day with no problems at all.

Advice would be greatly appreciated.gun)

Mermaid,

Its great that our Friends from the North can join us. Welcome!

Fist you have a great list of Firearms there! Don't rule out a rifle that has a synthetic stock. That is only cosmetic.
Boyd Stocks ( BOYDS The World's Foremost Supplier of Hardwood Gunstocks. ) have great selections of Laminate Wood Stocks in just about every color you can dream up and all are for around $100.00 US. These stocks with a little tweaking can be real real nice.

You speak of the Sendero in 7mm Mag. This is a nice rifle. It gets my vote.
My buddy, and everyone has one on this forum. But my buddy has a tikka in 7mm Mag and he sits down and will gong his target all day long at 300m. So it seems like a good choice.

I Have a 7mm/08 I love it. Nice to shoot. Great little gun. I have several rifles that are, and based off of the 308 Case. Never know, when the Zombie Apocalypse comes, you should be able to find lots of 308 Nato.

I shoot a Ruger M77 in 280 Rem for everything I hunt in the state of Wyoming. ITS JUST ABOUT A 7mm Mag. I said just about so I don't offend any 7mm Hard Core Fans!

Well just don't rule out the synthetics, because you can change that pretty easy. I do with all of mine. I do believe I have a Ruger M77 in 338 Federal that still has Its original Jacket of Plastic.

Take Care

SC

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.