Here's Kirby's latest 338edge

Down Under Hunter,

The 300 gr SMK and 265 gr AT RBBT have nearly identical baring surface lengths. Only real difference in the length of the ogive on the RBBT is much longer so it will hang out of the case for a longer OAL then the SMK but a rifle throated for one will work just as well for the other with similiar bullet base position down into the case capacity.

You will get great performance with either, If you setting your 300 GR SMKs up for a repeater however the 265 gr AT RBBTs will likely be to long to fit in the mag box.

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby,

Thanks for the advice. Just so I get it right, I have the centre feed wyatt at 3.91 as well. I definitely want the gun set up with a round that will feed from the mag. This is a pre requisite for me to have with the (A) load. Do you think the 265 will be able to do this..(Still a little confused ) Shawns pet 300 smk load has OAl of 3.880. The wildcat just sounds that much better, but I don't want my gun so fussy that if the wildcat becomes not available I wont be able to fall back on the 300 smk. Sorry to bug you, but as you are one of the few with decent knowledge of the wildcat bullet, I feel I'll get the best advice possible. The barrel being used is a 5.6 Hart double tapered sendero profile, heavy fluted ss 30 " plus break.1-10

Thanks once again. Great bull by the way !

Down Under Hunter,

The simple answer is NO. If you throat your rifle the same way Shawn does his standard 338 Edge chamber throats, you will not get a 265 gr AT RBBT seated to the lands and still fit in the mag box, even a 3.910" mag box.

The nose on the 265 gr AT RBBT is VERY long. From the point the bullet would contact the origins of the rifling, the 265 is nearly 0.220" longer in nose length then the 300 gr smk seated to the same depth to just contact the lands.

So any OAL you would have with the 300 gr SMK, basically add, 0.220" to that length and that is what you would have with the 265 gr seated to the lands. In your case, with Shawns throat length on his standard Edge chamber, you would be looking at an overall length in the 4.040" range with this bullet.

This is why I had to take all the throat length out of my chamber and still use a 3.910" wyatts mag box to make this work and my case is significantly shorter then the Edge case length.

Unless you have the rifle throated very short, I do not see how you can make it work with the Edge, even with no throat, I think it would be to long to work as a repeater with magazine length of 3.910" as your limits.

If I may ask, why are you required to have a repeater? Just personal preference of something else? I assure you, a single shot long range rifle gives up nothing to a repeater as far as quick follow up shots in the field. But if you feel more confident with a repeater, by all means, just curious I suppose.

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby,

I hear what you are saying about single shots. I just dont feel like I want the gun designed to be a single shot only. From what you are saying I could have the smk as the load to run as the repeater round and the wildcat as the single shot ?

Would you be better to throat the rifle for the smk at 3.880 OAL or the wildcat. I now understand that you think it unlikely that the wildcat will fit the magazine.

I just wanted to make sure that both would work in the rifle. If I cant get the wildcat to work in the mag, so be it. I guess I was trying to have the best of both worlds ?

Sorry to sound confused, but having never built a rifle before, I'm learning as I go.

Thanks Kirby.

Down Under,

My recommendation would be to have the chamber set up for the 300 gr SMK seated as long as the magazine would allow as a repeater and then if you wanted to use the 265 gr AT RBBT in single shot form you would still be in business.

I just don't think its possible to get the bullet seated deeply enough to allow repeating in the longer Edge case even with a 3.910" OAL allowed in the magazine.

Kirby Allen(50)

Nice rifle...... I just have to ask.......... Do you sling the rifle over your shoulder when you are on that treadmill in the backround?

Chawlston

you most prepare for the hunt the right way. doesn't every one? but the neighbors really look at me funny when i go walking with it. quick way to clear out a park!!!!!!!!!!LOL

I whet out to the range to day and shot some groups at 300 the largest was 1.098 and the smallest was .651 these where 3 shot groups. i have to find some time to get to the ranch and take it out to a 1000.

Well i have finally had time to take it out to 1000 yrs with great results. I'm shooting 300smk at 2857 under 93gr of retumbo. i was shooting off of my hunting truck with the bi pod on the top of the cab and the back of my stock on the shooting rest on the truck. (i will get some pic so every one will know what I'm talking about for as my hunting truck it's a Texas thing) i put all the info in my exbal and it said 23.75moa up and 2 moa to the left. my first group of three was right on for as up and down but they went about 6" to the left so i set my wind age back to 1.25 moa and try again. this time it was on with a group size of about 4.5"-5". the next group of three was right in the same spot so a total of six shoots in a group size of 4.5-5". this was the first time to shoot this rifle out to a 1000. with my set up not be the best in the world as for as shooting benches or stable i'm really happy with the results. i wanted to shoot off of my truck so i would get the fill for what i had to work with. I'm going to ad a lot better rest to the truck so i don't have to use the bi pod on the cab. i still want to try some H1000 and see what it can do with this powder. Kirby builds one hell of a gun that make it seem eze.

If any body would like to come down to Texas for some long range hog hunting let me know. I'll be running hog hunts after deer season and have some long range shots. i have 12000ac to hunt on with a lot of hogs we feed 40,000# of corn a year. its a lot of fun and would love to have some long range guys down to do my kind of hunting. this is not a ruff it hunt. i have a new double wide trailer to stay in with ever thing as home even sat TV. we have a new chev crew cab hunting truck to ride around in as well and you can kill as many hogs as you like.

Kirby the offer still stands!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jump a jet and come on down.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts